A/C is not cooling

Old 06-15-24, 02:49 PM
A
asi
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C is not cooling

I have attached a photo.

Q: There are 2 lines. One is Copper line and other line is covered with Black insulation. What is the role of each?

Any way, My AC is not cooling. There are 3 issues I am seeing.

1. Copper line (un covered) has ice build up. You can see white stuff where copper line is attached to AC unit. Why is that I have never seen it before.

2. Outside unit coils were covered with dust.

3. It used to be line under neath Black insulation used to cold one to touch esp. when AC is working. Now it is kind of regular temp. and Other line (copper line where you can see ice build up) is cold to touch. It used to be that's how I was able to tell I need Freon. AC is not cooling and line under neath Black insulation is NOT cold.

I cleaned the coil with coil cleaner (with a specific product) where you spray and wait. it swells up and just rinse it off. But is AC is still not cooling. May be little bit cold but not much.

This is something new. I have had Freon added last year and since then line under neath Black insulation never came back COLD to touch when AC is working as if things are normal (may be little bit cold). Did that AC guy did something wrong. Either wrong Freon Oil or is it something else? It was last year towards end of summer and then heat waves were done. So I kind of ignored it.

I have older unit from 70s and I think Freon I need is R22?

How would one knows if Drain line is Clogged? My both Inside and Outside units are working. I checked many times.

Last edited by asi; 06-15-24 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-15-24, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
My both Inside and Outside units are working
The smaller line is the liquid line and should be warm.
The larger line is the suction line and should be cold...... that's why it's insulated.

You should fell hot air coming out of the top of the condenser.
Check the large insulated line at the condenser. It should be ice cold.

Partial frosting or just the lines frosting indicates a low charge.

Old 06-15-24, 05:56 PM
A
asi
Few things

Last year HACC guy added 3lbs of Freon but still Large Insulated line never become Ice cold. It was colder but not that cold.

Why smaller line (non insulated one) is cold and frosted? It start to defrost but room temp is still 84. Not sure if defrosting is due to hot inside temp. AC is blowing non stop.

I was not not very careful in last year or so.

I did NOT change AC filter and did not use bleach/Vinegar to Drain line.

Now I have changed AC filter, cleaned outside coils and added both Beach and Vinegar to drain line. Drain line is dripping water out side ( I checked several times today).

Is it possible drain line is clogged?

What is the role of this box shown in picture tube where there is a switch and drain line empties. In the past when there was low Freon this box was full of water and AC was cut off. Now there is no water.

Old 06-15-24, 06:00 PM
A
asi
Thanks for your reply.

What to use for AC drain line cleaning? My AC drain seems to be open as water is dripping outside

In the past I have used Beach or Vinegar. or should I use something like (PF Drain cleaner)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-oz-AC-...ACL8/321944038

For outside vent cleaning what brand to use. I used PF coil cleaner and seems to be working as there are so many products to choose.

Old 06-15-24, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
I have older unit from 70s and I think Freon I need is R22?
You need to stop and realize that you system has a good life.
Adding that much R22 is telling you that it's time to start looking for a new system.

I had a Rheem system that was 35 years old. Never took one ounce of additional R22.
The compressor finally died.

When you have to add large amounts it tells you that there is an unacceptable system leak.

There are many coils cleaners and they should be used sparingly on old coils.
They all say safe but when a coil gets old the metal is weakened.

That box below the air handler is a condensate pump.
It's used to pump the the condensate up if the unit is below the drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: