Any AC On/Off Timer recommendations?

Old 06-22-24, 04:06 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Any AC On/Off Timer recommendations?

Hey guys, my younger son who is Autistic moved into an Apartment building few months ago. He bought a Hamster to keep him company. Yesterday he came here to our home to do some laundry so was away from for like 5 hours.

I told him he should never leave the AC running when not in the apartment as it would be a fire hazard but in reality this cannot be avoided because the hamster would need to stay cool whenever he has regular medical appointments.

So I am thinking of maybe getting him an automatic ON/OFF Timer like this which should turn the AC window unit on and off at preset intervals, might work and if not, then any recommendations or any other ideas please? Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Techbee-Count...c&gad_source=1

Top Answer

06-22-24, 05:14 AM
Tolyn Ironhand
Group Moderator
Received 912 Upvotes on 770 Posts
You can use any device similar to that as long as it is rated to carry the amp load of the A/C. The one you posted should work fine but here are some other options: you can use mechanical timers like this: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Intermat...hoClqwQAvD_BwE which will turn it on an off at set intervals or even a smart outlet like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds and control the outlet using a smart device (Alexa, Google home) or your phone.

One thing to check is that if the A/C loses power will it start up again when power is restored?

Also, there is a low risk of fire using the A/C as long as the outlet is of good quality and in good condition and the A/C is not plugged into an extension cord. When the A/C is running, touch the outlet and see if it is warm to the touch.

Old 06-22-24, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
You can use any device similar to that as long as it is rated to carry the amp load of the A/C. The one you posted should work fine but here are some other options: you can use mechanical timers like this: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Intermat...hoClqwQAvD_BwE which will turn it on an off at set intervals or even a smart outlet like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds and control the outlet using a smart device (Alexa, Google home) or your phone.

One thing to check is that if the A/C loses power will it start up again when power is restored?

Also, there is a low risk of fire using the A/C as long as the outlet is of good quality and in good condition and the A/C is not plugged into an extension cord. When the A/C is running, touch the outlet and see if it is warm to the touch.

mikehende, rndiy, Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 06-22-24, 07:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
If the wiring of the building is proper there should be no concern for fire.

Have you checked the AC? Many/most of them have a timer feature built in. The only issue is that you have to remember to use it, turn the timer on.

mikehende voted this post useful.
Old 06-22-24, 07:29 AM
M
@ Tolyn

GREAT, thank you very much! Far as I can tell the difference between your linked-to timer and mine is yours can turn off/on 3 times whereas mine can do this unlimited times so I will need to consider this.

Assuming that mike would be away from the Apartment for 5 hours on average, right now I am thinking to turn off every 45 minutes for 15 minutes just to let the AC cool down periodically so no overheating issues, what do you think please?

Regarding an AC 'catching fire', this is what spooked me:

Old 06-22-24, 08:02 AM
M
Just got this pic from Mike, these are the AC's controls, any way you possible use this without having to get a timer please?

Old 06-22-24, 08:28 AM
R
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I think the a/c on a pre-set schedule (on top of the temperature setting) may be counter productive. It may even cause the a/c to overwork to maintain the temperature. The temp swings inside the house will be wider, and may not be safe for the hamster on really hot days. It may be worth considering an app controlled wifi timer like the one linked above. Even if your son forgets to turn off before leaving the house, it can be done remotely. He can check the status remotely without having to return to the apartment (like some do when they do not remember if they closed the garage door or not). A compromise without a timer may be to set the temp higher resulting in fewer cycles and lesser work for the a/c

Old 06-22-24, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
I see a Wifi button or light on the display. It might be able to be controlled via Wifi remotely. Perhaps you can post a model number of the unit?

Also, as I mentioned before, before connecting the timer you need to make sure the unit will restart if the unit loses power. To test this have the unit running and then disconnect power to it by either turning off the circuit breaker that the A/C is using, trip the GFCI on the plug if available, or just unplug it. Then restore power and see if the unit will restart by itself. If not, then the timer idea will not work.

Any electric appliance can catch fire due to some type of failure. The key is the "not well maintained" part of that post. That stat is 2800 over 4 years out of the millions of window A/C units in use every year.

mikehende, rndiy voted this post useful.
Old 06-22-24, 09:27 AM
M
This is the model ge ac AJEQ08AWJK1

Last edited by PJmax; 06-22-24 at 05:42 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pic
Old 06-22-24, 09:51 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 127 Upvotes on 110 Posts
most of those inexpensive timers that plug into the wall likely are a fire hazard themselves there contactors are often overrated and degrade fast switching a high amp load and ultimately they start getting hot, your just adding more connections to an already fairly low risk fire hazard as long as the outlet and plug is a good tight fit I wouldnt really worry about it some appliances like a clothes dryer would be a high risk that you really should never leave running.

Old 06-22-24, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Info for that model number:
It features a 24-hour on/off delay timer, for utmost efficiency in proper indoor cooling. This unit features an energy saver feature, which will temporarily shut the air conditioner off when the room reaches a certain temperature, as to not over-cool the room or over-exert the unit.

The AJEQ08AWH is WiFi enabled with a built-in GE SmartHQ communication card built right in. WiFi lets you communicate with your AC unit, allowing you to monitor and control it from your phone!
It appears to me that the unit already has the needed features to do what you want already as Pilot Dane mentioned.

Owners manual: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://manuals.totalhomesupply.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/GE-TTW-Owners-Manual.pdf

Old 06-22-24, 02:24 PM
M
Nice! Thanks a million guys. Any recommended tips for Mike on how to best use this AC whenever not in the apartment for an extended period of time please?

Old 06-22-24, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
GE user manual - pdf

Rather than turning the unit off..... raise the temperature.
Sleep mode will raise the temperature 4 degrees for 7 hours.

After a power outage......
the unit will remember last setting and return the unit to that setting when power is restored.

That means an external timer could be used.

The manual discusses downloading the user app and then using that to change temps.

Old 06-23-24, 04:46 AM
M
Thanks. Hmnn, I was thinking best to advise him to lower the temp so not to put too much strain on the unit so like around 76 degrees?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: