Electric cars

Old 11-26-07, 11:16 PM
The electric car, EV, or simply electric vehicle is a battery electric vehicle (BEV) that utilizes chemical energy stored in rechargeable battery packs. Electric vehicles use electric motors and motor controllers instead of internal combustion engines (ICEs). Vehicles using both electric motors and ICEs are examples of hybrid vehicles, and are not considered pure BEVs because they operate in a charge-sustaining mode. Hybrid vehicles with batteries that can be charged externally to displace some or all of their ICE power and gasoline fuel are called plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV), and are pure BEVs during their charge-depleting mode. BEVs are usually automobiles, light trucks, neighborhood electric vehicles,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-07, 08:49 PM
This electric car looks promising. I don't see any information on how much it costs per charge.

http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/index.html

It looks like they are costing around 45K.

Old 11-28-07, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately until they are mass-produced and in wide-spread use the price of electric and hybrid vehicles will always be much more than you could ever recoup in fuel savings costs.

Old 11-30-07, 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by PHixHerUP View Post
right now gas still wins...maybe nuke power will reduce our dependence on foreign oil some day?
Yup gas still win.

Old 01-20-08, 09:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd love an electric car... There is a prototype in development at the moment that is a 2 seater, 3 wheel design. You can see it here: NoAds.com

The thing is, the pure electric model is perfect for my needs. My main use for a car is shopping, going to the beach, and occasionally going to work. I work 26kms (17miles?) away from home, and the speed limit between work and home is 100kmh (62mph?).

Therefore a range of 120miles and a top speed of 100milesperhour is more than enough for me! The thing that annoys me is.... it's also more than enough for 95% of the people that drive to work every day in my city. They're all driving alone to and from the city every day. Such a waste.

Oh, and I'm DYING to get rid of the complicated system that is the internal combustion engine. Electric is much simpler. No more oil changes

The only reason this car would fail for me is when it came to vacations. For that reason I would consider the plugin Hybrid, but I would also consider having an old model oil powered sedan that I drove once every year or two that I took vacations on.

And the thing about "battery charging is fossil fuel based". I've opted for "Natural Power" with my electricity company which states that for every unit of power I buy, they will match that with solar/wind/hydro power. Even if this were not the case, I would install PV panels on my house to charge the car. But since my mains power is green anyway (at a cost of course), I'd just plug it in and be oil free.

Imagine charging your car while you sleep for free... never having to stop at a petrol bowser ever again.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-17-08 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Removed link
Old 05-02-08, 07:27 PM
Hydrogen car anyone??

Only emission is H2O

fred
(but I do like the Tesla!!)

Old 06-17-08, 09:16 AM
but the drawback is after 50,000 miles

electric car needs new batteries ie $25,000

hydrogen car needs new feul cell $25,000

hmmmmmmm