Trying to build hybrid go-kart. How do I...

Old 10-10-07, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to build hybrid go-kart. How do I...

I am trying to build a hybrid go kart. I want to use the gas engine that it came with the go-kart (briggs&stratton) to turn and alternator to charge the batteries on the fly. I also want to make provisions for a solar panel to allow charging if just sitting in the sun. For the load I am using two electric scooter drive ends. 24vdc, 250watts each. I have a couple of questions.

Can I use a common 12v alternator to charge 24vdc? (two 12v batteries in series).

Can anyone help me with a schematic or diagram of the wiring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-07, 02:26 AM
What is the cost of building this?

Old 11-20-07, 02:48 AM
Cool Deleted by Author

Deleted by Author

Last edited by ruk9p; 11-20-07 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Reply preview magically became posted unfinished reply
Old 11-20-07, 03:07 AM
Cool As low cost as possible. Right now I have the time, but no money.

How much the build has cost so far isn't much at all. I purchased the go-kart used, complete, and poorly running for $200. For the primary drive hardware, I found a matching pair of electric scooters that didn't run, for sale for $50 flat. I'm using a 250 watt motor (chain driven) on each rear wheel. I've already got the solar panel. I'm re-using that from a previous project. I had to replace the wheels & tires (2 cracked hubs I missed at first look), re-build the carb., recover the flat wooden seat panels, strip & paint etc., other "restoration" type expenses. Total outlay for "renewal" was just under $100. That stuff I won't count as part of the build. If I went "off-budget" for all the parts, there would be a whole lot less "non-productive" work to do and frustrated to be. But then, the cost for just the parts I have so far would easily TRIPLE or more.

As soon as I can find someone kind enough to help me with a wiring diagram/schematic, I'll know exactly what parts are still left to fabricate and where to locate which componants. If I had the electrical information I need, I could finish this specific build with a total investment under $750 + my time.

This build is my personal "physical rehab" project. Being struck by Septicemia with MRSA, has taken a lot out of me physically (and financially) in the last 11 months. I'm definitely on the "comeback trail". Now, I'm just too broke to keep myself physically and mentally busy while my body heals.

Old 03-26-08, 11:16 AM
Ruk-

Try looking up "24V alternator" on eBay. There are a few up for auction right now.

I like your project- it is ambitious. Especially since you can run silent when necessary. Where did the motors come from? a used American Chariot?

Steve

Old 03-27-08, 04:54 AM
For Your Help, A Thousand Thanks Upon Your House

Howdy Circuitbreaker,

Many thanks for the information. I had made a huge mistake. I assumed that to buy an alternator & regulator unit/setup for 24v would be "project killing" pricey. I assumed this because of the imagined applications for whatever type of equipment the alternator might come from. For the electrical part of the driveline I ended up needing to use 2-400watt 24vdc motors from old scooters and the speed controller is simply for 1200watts @ 24 vdc. The only stuff I HAD to buy I hadn't planned on was another rear wheel with chainring so I could have two wheels pushing forward, just in case. I have had to put this specific project on hold, for need of now finding a new employer. Only 6 work days after returning to a job I really enjoyed after an 11 month nearly died type illness, and they couldn't manufacture an excuse to part company with me fast enough. All I did was get a boil on my ear and have an idiot for a Doctor.

Life is hard, cowboy up.

Matt
[/I][/I]

Last edited by ruk9p; 03-27-08 at 04:55 AM. Reason: all text was italics not just some. I don't write code so I 'm trying to help myself
Old 04-25-08, 11:25 PM
Idea

This was taken from the chevy volt concept. If you have the go kart run directly off the electric motors and have the gasoline motor only generating power you can simplify the setup.

Old 04-26-08, 06:35 AM
Hybrid Go-kart

Maxwell1500,

You are absolutely correct. The problems I'm encountering have more to do with reconciling a 12vdc power source (alternator) with a 24vdc load. I know I can use a 24vdc alternator from aircraft, construction equipment and other sources. Unfortunately, alternators for other than automotive applications are rather pricey. A 12vdc alternator is all I can afford for the forseeable future. I just wish I could find a schematic of a wiring system that does what I need using the pieces I have. I know it can be done. I just don't know how, yet.

Ruk9p

Old 04-26-08, 06:59 AM
what you would need is a battery isolater for multiple battery systems. then just run your alternator to center post and single wire from each isolation post to positive terminal on each battery. com. ground probably thru diodes also to make sure of not poping 24vt. thru any thing not designed for it.
life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 04-26-08, 11:27 AM
Aha! Eureka! Etc., etc., etc.

Mr. Speedwrench,

Many thanks for your thoughts, ideas and plain old common sense. Your idea is probably the way I'm going to work it. I'm now only left with a couple of minor detail type questions. Like what might be the specs for the diodes? Can I run it with the internal (or an appropriate external) voltage regulator?

You just gave me another thought. If I can somehow manage to find a Briggs & Stratton engine of teeny-weeny size, with electric start it would be nice to set it up so the engine would start automatically at a given battery depletion level. But, a pull start works just fine for me for now.

Thanks again!

Never married, and my dog goes where I do. The fun never really stopped. But, now I want kids.

Old 11-18-08, 06:22 PM
Are you still working on this project? Sounds fun and interesting.
I was looking into windmill systems recently and came across this awesome site with designs for permanent-magnet shop-made alternators that might fit your application:

Experiments

There's lots of food for thought throughout this whole site, including plans for a voltage regulator, and information on using different types of alternators.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-09, 01:48 PM
Ruk-

If you can't afford a 24V alternator, try just getting a 24V Stator, rotor, and regulator. Simply re-use the rest of parts.