e85 ethanol

Old 08-09-07, 08:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile e85 ethanol

What damages can occur to a gasoline engine if you run it on e85 or ehtanol fuel?

Old 08-09-07, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not sure about damage, but it may not run correctly. These fuels are made for Flex-Fuel engines. Flex Fuel engines are almost identical to normal fuel engines, except for some added equipment.

You would probably have to get ahold of the manufacturer of the motor to see if it would be feasible.

These fuels do not produce alot of energy as regular gas, so your fuel mileage will go down about 20-35%.

Old 08-09-07, 03:23 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your car will run on e85, but in time it takes a toll on the engine.

http://www.cleanairtrust.org/Differences-Between-E85-and-E95.html

Old 08-09-07, 03:25 PM
C
E85 Ethanol in a non-Flex Fuel Vehicle

You run ethanol in your vehicle everyday. Each and every gas pump in the USA has 10% ethanol. As far as damage to your fuel tank, fuel pump, injectors, rings, rubber, plastic, etc - ethanol will not damage your car if built 1985 or newer. However, your vehicle does not know how to properly detonate E85 or high concentrations of ethanol. You car will run, but poorly. Extended use can cause severe damage from constant misfiring. You can install a conversion kit which allows proper detonation - see http://NOADVERTISINGINFORUMS.com. These kits are a DIY. Also the 20-30% reduction in fuel economy is a myth. Realistic mileage reductions are 2-15%. In a laboratory, ethanol has 30% less energy, however under pressure it burns more efficiently. The higher the pressure, the more efficient it will burn. So vehicles that are high compression like turbo charged and super charged report only 2-3% mileage loss. Winnebagos with big low compression engines report a 20% loss. The added equipment that the automakers put into a new Flex Fuel vehicle is basically a software program. There are also many myths about E85 ethanol. These are busted at http://www.NOADVERTISINGINFORUMS.COM

Last edited by twelvepole; 08-09-07 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Advertising not allowed in forums. No advertising links in signature.
Old 08-09-07, 07:18 PM
In our state, we are required to have 80% of our state gov't fleet vehicles E-85 compatable. It used to be that E-85 vehicles costs an extra 1500.00. Now, however, there is little or no cost difference.
Since I'm involved daily with the repair of our fleet of over 5000, I see all the repairs and damages to all types of vehicles. As far as E-85 vehicles there has been two problems of significance.

With Ford Taurus, about three years ago, there was a substantial problem with the fuel pump seals being affected by running E-85. And when switching back and forth from unleaded fuel to E-85 there can be a buildup of "gunk" in your fuel filter. We found that this was a residue from the unleaded fuel being cleaned from the system by the E-85.

Above and beyond those rather insignificant "problems" the biggest difficulty is finding E-85. As of now, I know of only a handful of locations where E-85 can be had in the entire state of Kentucky.

Initially, we did find that E-85 vehicles did get less mileage and have poorer power. The advancement of knowledge by the manufacturers has improved the mileage and power is the same, or, in some cases, better.

Some of the new E-85 pickups were greeted with real skepticism but have proven to require less mechanicle maintenance than unleaded fuel engines. The E-85 vehicles burn cleaner and don't have the buildup of deposits that we're all so familiar with.

Now. we're looking at bio-fuel and it promises to be an exciting animal!!
In twenty years, who knows what we'll be using....change for the right reasons is good!!

CD

Old 08-10-07, 08:45 AM
G
Exclamation Each and every gas pump in the USA has 10% ethanol

change2e85,

i thought too at one time that all formulated gas in the USA has 10% ethanol but that in fact is not true. It depends on the population on where you live. For instance, I live in a rural area and we do not have gas with the 10% ethanol formulation. I also get about 3 miles per gallon extra because it doesn't have ethanol in it. IMHO,,The 10 % ethanol main purpose is to "water down" gas so a vehicle will pass emissions.
I wood say an ethanol vehicle could be a definite advantage if gas rationing comes back cuzz u could mix ,,perhaps methanol with 15 % gas to make your own mixture and perhaps a little lecithin ( PAM ) to keep seals from drying out. methanol can be had at hardware stores.
The mixture is speculation and i dont advise anybodee trying it ,,i just sorta was in a "what if it came to this" frame of mind.

thanx,
gascan

Old 08-22-07, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
acetone in gas

hi
i use 2 on of acetone 100% per 10 gallon of gas
i went from 17 to 25 miles per gallon
here is the web link on how to
i notice engine runs smoother and no damage to report
i have 75k on my 4.7 L engine durango 2004

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Old 08-22-07, 01:47 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
well, I have serious doubts about the 47% increase in mileage. I have read other rumorous stories betelling of the same thing. I have yet to see one known and reputable entity support such claims.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2006/January/08.html

as far as damage from E85 or ethonal:

it can cause damage to many parts in a car. Metals that are not designed to be exposed to ethanol can corrode and seals and such that are not designed to be exposed to ethanol can swell or degrade.

From all reputable experts I have read, it is not a good idea to be pumping the stuff into a car that is not specifically designed for it.

Old 01-04-08, 12:32 PM
there seems to be some conjecture as well as myth propogation going on here...check out this website for good reliable info about automotive fuels...alternative as well as conventional

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/ethanol.html

Old 03-03-08, 04:55 PM
M
my 2 cents

I have a 2000 ford taurus flex fuel and from what the dealer told me the fuel system has stainless steel lines and diffrent o rings. Also the fuel tank is stainless steel. Another thing is the engine computer is programed for the extra ethanol.
Look up part numbers for fuel system parts and you will see two numbers one for E-85 cars and one for regular fuel. I have never put E-85 in my Ford only because it is hard to find were I live.

Old 05-02-08, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by twelvepole
Your car will run on e85, but in time it takes a toll on the engine.

http://www.cleanairtrust.org/Differe...5-and-E95.html
Will it take a toll on humanity?
Ethanol, isn't that the stuff made from corn?

Are not we short of corn farmers, and our diminished corn exports are thus starving thousands of refugees overseas.
Just a thought!!!!

fred

Old 05-03-08, 03:48 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Fred: to further your comments, not only are those overseas missing our corn exports, look at your own grocery store prices and supplies. Anything made from grains are going through the roof, and are in short supply. Why??? We are subsidizing corn production for ethanol rather than for food. It takes 1.2 gallons of gas to produce 1 gallon of ethanol, which is a poorer fuel source than the gas it took to produce it. Where are we going?

Old 05-03-08, 10:52 AM
M
my 2 cents again

Yes I think using food grains is counter productive also. If they could use things like lawn clippings or switch grass we would be better off.
I also think we should focus on ONE alternate fuel and refine the technology on that one thing being electric, LPG or whatever.
There needs to be a move to create one fuel and one fuel only and build a infastructure to support the users.
As soon as Goverment and automakers can see this concept the quicker we can get out of fossel fuels. Back when my Ford was made in 2000 the Goverment would give tax breaks to the auto makers for making a percentage of there cars E-85 compient. Therfore Ford saw fit to make a bunch of these cars and sold most as fleet cars.
There is a good docomentery called who killed the electic car were GM made a bunch of electric cars and had people drive them kind of a test.
People loved them but big goverment axed the program and all cars were taken back and destroyed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: