Help with Induction heating for steam

Old 01-30-08, 07:05 AM
Help with Induction heating for steam

Hi,

I'm working on a project that would require the ability to heat water into steam via electric induction, preferably DC or via AC converter if necessary.

I'm thinking a monotube design with an induction coil surrounding it that could produce steam from 2 quarts of water in say 30 seconds or less.

Anyone here have experience with that kind of design?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-08, 01:43 PM
Why go with induction heating? You can only heat the container holding the water, so the water still has to absorb the heat by conductive/convective heat transfer. And the induction power supply will have significant efficiency/energy losses. If you're thinking of microwave heating of the water, you're still talking big efficiency losses; just compare the power input on a microwave to the rated output.

Why not just go with bayonet resistance heating elements inside of close fitting tubes of water, you'll get 100% heating efficiency. Or resistive heating of the tube shells.

Old 02-04-08, 11:48 AM
Definitely use a single tube. I would use one with vanes on the inside to maximize surface area between the water and the metal.

Get a copy of Davies & Simpson's Induction Heating Handbook through interlibrary-loan.

See also: ********

Last edited by GregH; 02-04-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Remove link.