Chevy Astro van suitable for ethanol?

Old 08-10-10, 01:10 PM
Chevy Astro van suitable for ethanol?

I have a Chevy Astro van with a "Z" in the VIN, 8th position
I wonder if it is suitable for E85 fuel

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-10, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
What year? That probably makes a difference...

Old 08-10-10, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately no Astro is Flex fuel.
The VIN will tell you what engine you have. And it's not the engine itself that makes a vehicle flex fuel, it's the material that the gas tank and fuel delivery and emission system are made of, plus a fuel composition sensor that allows the PCM to adjust ignition timing and how it factors sensor feedback when using anything higher than 10% mixture of ethanol. All that could be added to any engine during manufacture.

http://e85vehicles.com/home.html
Flexible Fuel Vehicles | Ethanol Retailers

There are conversion kits available.
EDIT: Might have overstated the extent of how much is different. That's why I included the links!

Last edited by mickblock; 08-10-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 11:38 AM
availability

where is ethanol readily available. It always seems to me like a political football that comes up in the news cycle and goes away. I never see it offered commonly at gas stations like diesel is.

Old 09-19-10, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by bradshwart View Post
where is ethanol readily available. It always seems to me like a political football that comes up in the news cycle and goes away. I never see it offered commonly at gas stations like diesel is.
it is. it is well known that ethanol government policy was bullied in by corn states. and many are there, so it was huge lobbying.
otherwise, ethanol is no cheaper to produce, no better to drive on, and requires powertrain mods to withstand corrosiveness.
or, = more $$ to corn and car manufacturers.

is it greener? allegedly, it's water and CO2 only. well, how about PZEV gas cars?

A PZEV car is actually a Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle, or SULEV, that has been further modified to eliminate evaporative emissions from the fuel system. It also has a longer warranty--15 years versus 10 years--on its emissions systems, though the mileage (150,000) limit stays the same over those 15 years. and those are kicka** cars to drive.