Biodiesel less efficient?

Old 05-09-11, 03:37 PM
Biodiesel less efficient?

A few years ago I read that biodiesel (converting used cooking oil to fuel) takes more energy to make than it actually creates. What are the current thoughts on this? Anybody out there make their own biodiesel?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-11, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't think making fuel from cooking oil is expensive. True biodiesel made from corn and such products that we grow normally to feed our children is terribly expensive, inefficient, yet our government subsidizes it.
There are a couple of guys in our town who run used cooking oil in their Cummins. They have to keep regular diesel on board to start and stop it. They can't allow the cooking oil to be a starting element. It gels too fast and clogs things up during start up. They have a switch they use when they shut down the truck that switches it from cooking oil to diesel. That way they start on diesel and switch over as soon as it warms up.
Smells like McDonalds if you fall in behind them

Old 05-09-11, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Smells like McDonalds if you fall in behind them
You say that like it is a bad thing!

Old 05-10-11, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OH, no. You fall in behind them on purpose. It smells better than a Chrysler 300's exhaust, which resembles the remnants of a 4th of July parade before they shovel it up.

Old 11-03-11, 07:37 PM
There most be different ways to make it, or thinks to add to it. A while ago, I read a article about a guy in CT, that ran used frier oil, in his VW rabbit. He had like 30,000 on it, and he didn't mention anything about it gelling up. I use to be a fry cook, and the oil is kind of thick, when cold, but still liquid. Now shorten is a different story, that gets hard when cold. But you can get around the gelling up with a fuel heater. The place I use to work had this old boiler, that used #6 fuel oil, and you had to heat just to get it to flow.

Old 11-10-11, 12:59 AM
According to the Tennessee Valley Authority, the average US farm consumes fuel at the rate of 82 litres per hectare (8.75 US gal/acre) of land to produce one crop. However, average crops of rapeseed produce oil at an average rate of 1,029 L/ha (110 US gal/acre), and high-yield rapeseed fields produce about 1,356 L/ha (145 US gal/acre). The ratio of input to output in these cases is roughly 1:12.5 and 1:16.5.

(from Wikipedia)

I guess the conclusion is that no, its not efficient, but a lot of money will be invested in trying to make it efficient cos lets face it, who wants their economy to depend on Saudi Arabia?