Electric vehicle HVAC questions

Old 08-14-22, 01:15 PM
S
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Electric vehicle HVAC questions

An EV isn't in the budget for me, but I know they're becoming more popular. I wonder how much of an impact the heating and air conditioning systems will have on driving range? I'd think it would be quite significant. At least with a hybrid you've got an engine producing heat, and turning an air conditioner compressor (if that's what a hybrid's system uses). The vehicle would use more gas, adding to the overall fuel cost at the time. but there would be less of a concern of completely running out of power.

Of course an advantage with an EV is no warm up time required, I don't know which would draw more current, hearing or cooling. Either way, it may become common to forgo heating or cooling if the power reserve is marginal.

Unrelated forum question - Is there a way to edit the title of a post?

Old 08-14-22, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
A moderator must change it. What do you want ?
I changed it and can change it again.

Old 08-14-22, 01:36 PM
S
That's fine, I just meant to have my original title in all upper case, I know, very minor, Thanks for changing it - that title is more descriptive.

Old 08-14-22, 02:08 PM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
They use a high voltage electric compressor for AC and several heating methods, heated steering wheel and seats to reduce peak power usage, but the heat is the bigger drain along with keeping the battery warm.

EV's just dont do well in extreme conditions.

Old 08-14-22, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Exactly... the winters in the North would put a severe damper on mileage per charge.

Old 08-14-22, 05:08 PM
S
I think the concept of an EV is great and it's time has come, but it just wouldn't work for everybody, meaning all climates. I'm in the North, I wouldn't say the climate is extreme, but it does get into the single digits at times. A couple times this winter it was below 0.

In the parking lot where I park there's 2 dual charging stations. Usually at least 3 are in use. I saw an interesting story on Motorweek last night about how the infrastructure is being built. There's a training program going on in a particular state (likely several states) specifically for training of the installations of charging stations. Seems like the EV would be good in the snow. The AWD versions are probably easier to design/produce that a typical vehicle - another motor driving the opposite end wheels or set of motors are installed at each wheel.

Old 08-15-22, 02:41 AM
I think the concept of an EV is great and it's time has come,
I think EV's will find their place but they will never be a total replacement for ICE. For a commuter car used around town, to and from work, I have no range anxiety with something that gets a couple hundred miles.

But to take off up north or a long trip it's just not going to work. Plus the current generation of batteries are not the right answer, somebody has to come up with something less reliant on scares minerals, this will be the strangle hold of EV's when/if productions actually takes off, prices will skyrocket.

Also I think what the automakers are doing is killing the market, at GM, every vehicle coming out is a train wreck, the Hummer, a 9K pound monster, the Lyriq, ugly, expensive, wait till you see the Celestiq (or what ever it's called) a $300K Cadillac, can you say disaster!

The Bolt, other than being expensive for it's size, is a nice car but like the Volt it will dye, have you ever seen any advertising? They say they are all electric but the only advertising I ever see is for trucks!

Old 08-15-22, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
It's funny you mentioned GM. There was a press conference at a GM location in Michigan. A lady was showing a new or prototype EV. The news guy said how do you charge it. She said you plug it into the building. She was asked where that power came from. She said it just comes from the building... batteries.

Old 08-15-22, 09:58 AM
S
How do you do quotes on this forum? I haven't seen the new Cadillac yet. Didn't realize Hummers were back (or still) in production. I do know there is or will be a Silverado EV.

I wonder if it would be practical to have some kind of built in solar charging on an EV? Probably not, as the results would be marginal, if that. Likely that would only rate as a trickle charge.

Old 08-15-22, 10:55 AM
She said it just comes from the building...
Far too many people simply do not comprehend that 88% of electricity in the USA still comes from fossil fuels thus that clean EV has a dirty hidden secret!

Old 08-15-22, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Exactly !

Last edited by PJmax; 08-15-22 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 07:39 PM
S
Exactly !
Ok - like this, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: