hybrid cars and no spare tire

Old 11-07-22, 07:11 PM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
hybrid cars and no spare tire

My daughter is weird. She has a 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid. She hates that there is no spare tire. She has already had two flat tires! She bought a spare tire. She hauls the tire out of the back when she needs room for other things. Now she has the idea of getting a roof rack attached to the car for the spare tire. Her birthday is coming up and I kept asking for birthday ideas. She said "a roof rack for my car". She (I think) has the fix a flat fix spray but obviously doesn't like that.

We live in a urban area. She drives maybe 15 miles to work. I suggested "simply" leaving the spare tire in the garage and putting it in the back when she takes vacations or longer trips. But noooooo!

Any reasonable suggestions....is a roof rack a doable idea? She talked to Honda and a RV Mobile Living shop about getting a roof rack but is getting the runaround.

Old 11-08-22, 12:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Doable sure, practical, well that's her decision.

Look into a sport racks like a Thuel.

Only comment, is it going to be safe, that's a lot of weight, I don't recall ever seeing an attachment for a spare tire. Also, if needed does she have the physical strength to haul that thing off the roof, tires are heavy!

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 11-08-22, 04:42 AM
B
Received 286 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Is the spare tire a compact spare? Maybe a small spare would not have to be removed for regular travel.

Old 11-08-22, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,108 Upvotes on 1,887 Posts
I carry a tire patch kit (don't forget to include a pair of pliers), Fix-A-Flat, and a small air compressor powered by the cigarette socket. If she wants a nice looking roof rack I'd consider one of the aerodynamic cargo pods. It's an expensive option but probably best if carrying a tire on the roof all the time.

Old 11-08-22, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Upvotes on 195 Posts
I run into people all the time who are shocked to discover they have a flat and no spare. Okay by me, tire changing is a hot, sweaty job; I'd just as soon tow them to the tire store. As a side note, since nobody EVER checks the air in their spare (when they have one) they are invariably nearly flat, especially older donuts. Doesn't matter to me since I carry air tank, but for the average driver it makes a big difference. With a full size spare, when you put it on and it's low on air, you can tell. With donuts, they can have practically "0" air in them and still look okay. Lost count of the number of donut spares I've seen fail because they were put on without checking pressure.

Moral to all you DIY'ers?: Take time soon to check air in your spare and air them up just in case.

Old 11-08-22, 10:29 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks to all. Good ideas and still a lot to think about. She wants the tire available so when she calls a tow truck they can change the tire for her. Hopefully they'd get it off the rack or wherever she ends up putting it.

Old 11-08-22, 11:21 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 416 Upvotes on 369 Posts
How about run-flat tires? Obviously more expensive than a single spare, but maybe the old tires could be sold?

Old 11-11-22, 08:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
It's all about weight or, rather, removal of weight to maximize fuel economy. I agree that I would be uncomfortable not having a spare but carrying its weight in a way that would also increase drag, she needs to know she is going to see a difference in her mileage.

Old 12-09-22, 07:09 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
Regardless of whether you put the spare tire or the other cargo on the roof rack, the loaded rack is a tempting target for thieves.

Old 12-10-22, 06:50 AM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Does "no spare tire" also mean no jack? I'm liking the DIY puncture kit idea, because presumably roadside assist would know how to use it, or your daughter could learn too. (Include a flashlight and nitrile gloves in the kit.) But Murphy's Law dictates the puncture will be hidden between the tire and the road.

In case the puncture is not obvious, maybe add soapy water to the kit too: inflate the tire some and escaping air creates foam or bubbles.

Murphy's Law also dictates that regardless of the solution you choose, once implemented your daughter won't have a flat for a long long time. 😀

Old 12-10-22, 10:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Murphy's Law also dictates that regardless of the solution you choose, once implemented your daughter won't have a flat for a long long time.
Yrs ago I had a helper that bought a used truck. First day on the job he had a flat and no jack [loaned him mine] He got the flat fixed along with a jack. He got a flat everyday! So over the weekend he bought a second spare ......... and never had another flat as long as he worked with me [1yr+]

Old 12-11-22, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
AFAIK, the no-spare is also no-jack.

Old 12-11-22, 12:04 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
A friend had the only car I know of with no spare tire. It was a Hyundai and it had a jack and a can of fix a flat along with a compressor that plugged into the cigar lighter. Even had instructions in the owners manual on how to use the fix a flat and compressor. Those instructions I believe had you jack the tire off the ground before using the fix a flat and compressor.

Old 12-13-22, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Makes sense, I suppose, to raise the flat off the ground first.

Old 03-07-23, 02:31 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stale post but wanted to mention that more and more electric cars (I have a VW ID.4) don't come with spares, but do come with the aforementioned repair kit (foam + air compressor.) Not to mention free roadside assistance for a few years. Electric cars are heavy as heck because of the batteries and I don't know that a conventional jack would work unless you're The Rock. I figure if I'm likely to call roadside assistance anyway, they may as well tow the car to a shop. Your day is already shot once you get a flat anyway.

It took a few months but my anxiety about not having a spare has waned. Thinking back through my 50 years on this earth, I can only remember being in a car that got a flat twice.

Old 03-07-23, 09:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I used to drive 35K miles a year and one or two flats per year was the norm. I drive more like the normal 12K per year now but I still see a flat every couple years. Two in 50 years is pretty lucky, IMO.

Old 03-08-23, 03:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
I've been fairly lucky, I only remember one tire going flat while I was in motion although I've had dozens of flats that showed up while the vehicle was parked. I've had 2 blowouts and strangely both of those were on parked vehicles.

Just remembered I have had a couple of tractor tires go flat while in use.

Old 12-09-23, 08:16 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Carrying the spare laying in the back of the car is dangerous. A sudden stop or accident will send that tire and rim hurling forward at what ever speed she is traveling. I had a friend killed but that situation. A roof rack is a decent solution, only if the tire is well lashed down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: