add a floor

Old 03-10-03, 12:36 PM
mikstick
Visiting Guest
add a floor

i own a one story ranch would like to add a second floor.The first floor joist are two by tens 16inches on center .The main support beam are three two by tens nail together supported by 5 lolly coloums for a span of 40 feet. The basement is 27by40 feet. Do you think the first floor is strong enough to support a second floor above it

Old 03-10-03, 01:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mikstick,

Most 2x4 @ 16" O.C. exterior walls of the main floor with structurally sound beams/support footings and sound foundation footings can handle 2nd floor additions with no problems. Anything above 2 story cannot without engineering design.

With what you are describing I would say it would be ok but you should have your home looked at by a contractor or local building official for confirmation.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-10-03, 02:44 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Like Doug said, check with your local bldg. dept. They will probably do a pre-inspection and point out any changes that need to be made before you actually start construction.. They will be the ones doing the inspections as you go along anyway.

Old 03-11-03, 03:03 PM
Your structure looks fine. Just one thing to remember if you go ahead with this project. Remember that you will not have a roof on your home for awhile. You will need to protect your inside during this time. Good Luck

Old 08-19-04, 11:54 AM
trishmeow
Visiting Guest
Red face prop 13 ?

hi my name is tricia, we want to add a second floor to our home but we are concerned about our taxes going up. we live in california in buena park and are under prop 13 i think its is, so if we add a second floor does anyone know if our taxes will go up? oh and sorry if this is in the wrong place, im new here

Old 08-19-04, 04:05 PM
trishmeow,

Taxes I am sure will go up on your home but the improvements you make, such as a second story reaps an excellent return on that investment.

If you are wondering how much they would go up, call your Tax Assement Office within your City to determine how they compute the tax base. At least to get a "ballpark" idea.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: