Scared our builders don't know what they're doing!!!

Old 06-20-04, 08:31 PM
jowi
Visiting Guest
Scared our builders don't know what they're doing!!!

We're having a sunroom built off an existing screen porch that is over 30 years old. Well, they came out and started doing everything (IMO) totally backwards.

First of all, when they did the estimate and proposal, they came out and looked at it and said the columns coming down were all non-weight bearing except for the corner one. Well, then they came out to do the job months later and didn't even address this issue until they had the thing practically built up around it (sunroom). Now they're saying, "Gee, these are weight bearing, so you're going to have to have at least one of these columns coming down in the middle of the room". I'm NOT happy about this.

I said, "Well, can't you put a beam across to hold the weight?"

They said, no. In fact, they said there "already is a beam there" and this is what they're talking about:

That's hardly a beam. Anyway, I'm calling the building inspector out tomorrow.

Another thing is that the corner column which they incorporated into the wall of the new sunroom was just wrapped in vinyl, even though it's more than likely half rotted. Most of the other columns were severely rotted. Not to mention that it contacts concrete and was not orig. made with green-treated lumber. Isn't that against code? Why would they just wrap it and not automatically replace to bring it up to code???

Any info appreciated!!!! TIA!

Old 06-20-04, 10:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tia,

Seems you do have a problem with these guys.

Not knowing how you came across these guys and if they were the lowest bidder, it is just another example of why everyone should be doing your homework in advance.

Not seeing the entire structure and what the end game plan is, its obvious that with no W/T plate, things are going to be in violation of the Code, i.e. All wood in direct contact with concrete shall be Wood Treated.

It appears that they do not know much. Even though the attached link shows examples that have been done in new construction, they also apply to any additions or renovation work. Here is a link to examples of headers/beams.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pic...beam+examples/

My assumption is that when you say columns, you are referring to the 2x wall studs that have rotted at the bottom. By not replaceing them, which adds to cost and time, the contractor (if you call them that) is pocketing money and taking shortcuts.

My concern is that if a building permit for this was pulled, any good contractor knows you can't do the things you mentioned. I would not pay anyone any money until you get the Inspector out to validate the errors that appear to be made here.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-20-04, 10:51 PM
jowi
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply.

What is a W/T plate?

I'll admit, I didn't do my homework per se, but this company "seemed" very professional - a well-known builder of sunrooms in our area, professional website, showroom, memeber of all the associations and bureaus, etc. I'm sure they could have supplied lots of references (they have a ton of finished sunroom pictures with happy customers standing in front on their walls), though I'm sure they've HAD to have some unhappy ones.

I'm definitely calling the inspector tomorrow first thing. Thanks for the pictures of the beams. My BIL said they could put the beam support into the wall a bit so it wasn't protruding very much. I'm sure what they're going to want to do is build it all outside the wall (easier=less work). But that's going to functionally harm my living space, as I wanted to put a couch along the wall in that area.

But one question just to clarify - the fact that they just wrapped vinyl around an existing support column or post or whatever you call it - without bringing it up to code (treated lumber) is in itself a blatant error, am I correct?

I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before they get here. I know they're going to have an answer for everything, and I want to be prepared.

There were also some small gouges in the vinyl from installation and even a dent and a small chip. I shouldn't have to accept that, should I? They said the dent would "come out in the heat of the sun". Here is a picture, though it's a little hard to see it.

Thanks again!!

Jody

Old 06-20-04, 11:07 PM
jowi
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

P.S......

I mean, wouldn't you address the support issue right when you got to the Job, not WAIT and start building to this point:

Old 06-20-04, 11:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jodi,

I would do things differently for sure.

Here is an example of a wood treated plate under an exterior wall. In this case, new construction, this can be attached using bolts or strapping, as seen here. In an existing condition, new plates can be installed by either unbolting what is there or removing fasteners to straps. New W/T plate laid down and re-fastened. The same procedure applies to slabs or cement foundation walls as in this case.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pic...BEAM+EXAMPLES/

I don't buy the dent deal at all and it should be replaced. You're the boss, they should provide quality workmanship and materials or not get paid.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: