2x10 floor joist load bearing capacity

Old 06-25-04, 06:12 PM
parishc
Visiting Guest
2x10 floor joist load bearing capacity

I am having a new wood stove installed in my living room within the next month. Before the stove is installed, I have to build a stone hearth over the wood floor. The stove and hearth will be in the corner of the living room. The stone hearth will be approximately 5'x5' or 25 sqft. The stone hearth will weigh 500 lbs and the stove is 500 lbs. I am conservatively assuming that the completed hearth and stove (plus miscellaneous materials) will weigh ~1500 lbs. My question is whether the floor joists can handle this weight. The living room floor is over the garage and is supported by 2x10 joists with 16" spacing. The joists span approximately 11 ft - one end is supported by a load bearing exterior wall, the other end of the joists rest on a 4x10 beam that spans the width of my garage. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-04, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
parishc,

First, I would suggest obtaining expert confirmation on the answer given, possibly your local bulidng authority as a Building Permit is required for fireplace/stove installations, even if you do the work.

Since the project is within a very close proximity to a bearing point, thus transfering the total load from a focused point to a "dispersed area - laterally", I see no problems, IMHO.

If this was in the middle of the span, it would exceed the live load limits of 40 psf thus requiring doubling up of the joists, which I assume would be difficult to do.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: