garage fire wall

Old 07-06-04, 04:14 PM
pete curtis
Visiting Guest
garage fire wall

I'm adding a subpanel and upgrading the electrical in my attached garage. The house was built in 1947 and there is no drywall anywhere--all studs are exposed--and the attic is totally open to the garage. I've been told that since I'll be altering the inside wall (the one shared with the living space) I will need to bring that wall up to code. As I understand it this will mean installing 5/8" fire-rated drywall from the foundation to the roof and taping all seams, and replacing the current door into the house with a self-closing, fire-rated door. I plan to install the subpanel in the firewall as well and will surround it with the same 5/8" drywall

1) What does the code say about pipes that penetrate a fire wall? Specifically, I have a laundry sink fed by hot and cold galv. pipes and a 3/4" natural gas line that enters the garage through the wall. What's the best way to deal with this?

2) If I go all the way to the roof with the 5/8" drywall, I'll have no access to my attic. That would be no fun since I've got lots of stuff stored up there (I currently use a removable ladder to climb up into the attic). Will the code allow me to install a 32" wide, self-closing, fire-rated access door?

What a mess. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Pete

P.S. FWIW, my local building department is unhelpful in the extreme, essentially refusing to answer questions. The reply is always, "If you have questions, hire a contractor."

Old 07-06-04, 08:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pete,

There are fire stop caulks available, 3M, Flameseal and Frestop Metacaulk are just 3 right off the bat that I have used. they are not cheap but meet Code if you install your drywall with good tight cuts and then use the caulks accordingly. There is also cement products available for the same.

Per your attic access, a fire door would be acceptable but not cheap for a smaller size. Again this would meet code if installed properly. Firetape all seams of your drywall and you'll be set.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-07-04, 08:35 AM
pete curtis
Visiting Guest
garage fire wall

Thanks for your quick response, Doug.

Originally Posted by Doug Aleshire
Firetape all seams of your drywall...
What does that mean? Is it different than regular drywall taping?

pete

Old 07-07-04, 09:22 AM
Pete,

Fire Taping is where you apply mud to joint, lay tape over this and then with some mud on blade, do a one sweep over the tape and you're done! In essence, no sanding is needed nor required for "fire taped" locations. This method or application just prevents a possible path for a fire.

So my answer is yes, big difference - Less Work!

Hope this helps!

Old 07-08-04, 12:52 PM
pete curtis
Visiting Guest
garage fire wall

Way less work! Many thanks for your help, Doug.

pete

Old 07-08-04, 01:01 PM
Pete,

You're very welcome!

It's best not to work yourself to death when you don't need to. Besides, this leaves more time to enjoy yourself doing other things or just nothing at all!

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: