Fire code for garage

Old 08-12-04, 05:21 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fire code for garage

I am about to start sheetrocking my garage and need to know what sheetrock I need to use. I would like to rock the common wall to the house with 5/8" firecode sheetrock including the wall adjacent to the upstairs bedrooms in the garage attic and then rock the garage ceiling with 1/2" sheetrock. Does this meet fire code? Or is it that all of the sheetrock in the garage needs to be 5/8" firecode. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-04, 06:40 PM
zoom38,

This should do it,

The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than ½” gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8” Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the seperation shall also be protected by not less than ½” gypsum board or equivalent. (IRC sec. R309.2)

Hope this helps!

Old 08-12-04, 09:07 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
WRONG: Doesn't Do It...

Originally Posted by zoom38
I am about to start sheetrocking my garage and need to know what sheetrock I need to use. I would like to rock the common wall to the house with 5/8" firecode sheetrock including the wall adjacent to the upstairs bedrooms in the garage attic and then rock the garage ceiling with 1/2" sheetrock. Does this meet fire code? Or is it that all of the sheetrock in the garage needs to be 5/8" firecode. Thanks for your help.
The Code requires the CEILING below living space to be at least 5/8ths inch drywall.

Zoom38 stated he wants to rock the garage ceiling with 1/2" drywall.
This is completely unacceptable.

Garage ceiling must be 5/8ths where living space is above as in Zoom38's case:

"R309.2 SEPARATION REQUIRED. ...Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8ths inch (15.9mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent"

Common vertical walls can be 1/2" drywall attached to the garage side:

"The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2 inch (12.7mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side..."

Zooms plan does not meet minimum code and must be altered.

Old 08-12-04, 09:14 PM
Please read first before posting

homebild,

If you would read what my posting said, it is exactly as you wrote.

"Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8” Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly."

I agree, what he is wanting to do WOULD NOT MEET CODE and that is why I posted it accordingly and correct.

Just thought I'd keep it all straight for zoom38 so noone is confused.

Old 08-13-04, 12:36 AM
Z
Clarification

I may have confused you guys a little. There is no living space above the garage ceiling, it is only attic space that is why I want to use 1/2" sheetrock for the ceiling. I plan to use 5/8" sheetrock on the wall common (adjacent to living space) to the house in the garage and garage attic. If I read your replies correctly I believe I would be in compliance with the code. Please correct me if Im wrong.
Thanks

Old 08-13-04, 01:39 AM
zoom38,

Thanks for the clarifacation but my posting outlines what you describe which is allowable per Code.

Follow the guidelines that I first posted - That was a direct quote from the IRC 2003.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-13-04, 01:50 AM
J
doesn't code require 5/8" drywall on any ceiling...adjacent to living space or not??...or is that just inside the house and garages have different requirements?

Maybe I need to read it again.

Old 08-13-04, 07:28 AM
jproffer,

This is open for debate but traditionally, REGULAR SHEETROCK, 1/2" for ceiling joists @ 16" O.C., 5/8" for ceiling joists @ 24" O.C. . I have seen 1/2" placed on ceilings where the spans are 24" O.C. but give it time, it will sag. especially when it becomes an insulated space and with poor ventilation, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

I have always used 5/8" regardless of ceiling joist framing and issues of fire code. As indicated by the sec. IRC 309.2, what they require should be adhered to at all times. Safety first as well as no sags. You can buy drywall that prevents sagging but the cost goes up.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-13-04, 10:34 AM
J
I've always used 5/8" because I was ignorant that it was even LEGAL to use 1/2" at all...ever.

Learn something new every day...ty Doug

Old 08-13-04, 01:18 PM
Z
I Think I Got It

Thank you all for the information.

Old 08-14-04, 05:29 PM
H
Whatever

When Aleshire stated:

"This should do it,

The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than ½” gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8” Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the seperation shall also be protected by not less than ½” gypsum board or equivalent. (IRC sec. R309.2)"

I took his "this should do it" as AGREEMENT with the original poster's specs of 5/8ths drywall for walls and 1/2" drywall for ceiling as being code compliant.
That is why I took offense at Doug's statements.

After closer inspection of the exchange, I see where Doug did NOT agree with the OP and merely cited code (which was correct).

Mea Culpa. Sorry for the confusion.

Both Doug and I agree that the OP's advice was wrong according to at least the 2003 IRC.

As far as 5/8ths in required on all garage wall surfaces, that is an OLD requirement of the former BOCA and perhaps some other (more outdated but possibly still in force) codes...

Old 08-18-04, 10:24 PM
Z
Re:irc R309.2

Now that I have started sheetrocking the ceiling of my garage with 1/2" gypsum, I've been told that New York code may differ from the IRC. Does anyone know if the New York Residential Code is the same as the IRC, specifically regarding sheetrock thickness in the garage. Does anyone know if the New York Fire Code addresses sheetrock thickness in a garage, if so what does it say. I've tried to find out but nobody can tell me for sure and my town inspectors are impossible to get in touch with. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Old 08-18-04, 11:24 PM
H
Drywall Code

Zoom38,

Consult your local Building Code officer.

You can't find the answers you desire on-line otherwise.....

Note: DoItYourself.com expects everyone in its DoItYourself.com Community Forums to always be polite, courteous and to treat each other with respect and high regard. DoItYourself.com’s Community leaders donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community. Disrespect may result in banning from the web site.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 08-19-04 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Disrespectful Comments
Old 08-19-04, 04:44 AM
zoom38,

Unfortunately, Building Officials start their day early and usually head out to job sites before 8:30 AM, at least around here.

It may be best to talk to someone in Plan Review or even the clerk within the Building Department. Should your own local office be difficult to reach, contact a neighboring community City Offices for assistance.

Option is to call the New York Division of Code Enforcement and Administration -

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/ls-codes.html

Hope this helps!

Old 08-21-04, 07:55 AM
Z
Ny Code

One more question. What is a floor-ceiling assembly? I put down a floor in the garage attic for storage (NOT living space), does that make it a floor-ceiling assembly??

Also I have a copy of the NY Residential Code which differs slightly from the IRC. The NY code reads as follows:

[B]R309.2.1 Vertical separations.[/B] Where partitions are used to separate vertically an attached garage from a dwelling or its attic, the partition assembly shall have a 3/4 hour fire-resistance rating.
Exception: In lieu of providing partitions that have 3/4-hour fire-resistance rating, one layer of 5/8-inch-thic, Type-X, gypsum board may be installed on the garage side and one layer of 1/2-inch-thick, Type-X, gypsum board may be installed on the opposite side. Application shall be in accordance with Section R702.3.

R309.2.2 Horizontal separations. Where horizontal construction is used to separate the garage from the residence or its attic, such construction shall be protected with on layer of 5/8 - inch - thick, Type - X, gypsum board, installed in accordance with the requirements of Section 805.1. Openings in horizontal separations shall not be permitted except where the residence is otherwise protected by vertical separations. Where the horizontal separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than 5/8 inch (15.87 mm) Type-X gypsum board or equivalent.

Of course the underlined portion is specific to NY.

Old 08-21-04, 08:00 AM
zoom38,

Basically, there must be protection to all areas that seperate living space from the garage. The garage ceiling and walls will need to be protected since it is attached to the home. Simple but it's alot of drywall. Install as per code. The attic would not have to be done as long as the inside of the garage is completely covered. This also means a fire protected access to the attic.

You should contact your local building authority for confirmation on this to meet their requirements.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: