Increasing span in ceiling

Old 08-23-04, 01:39 PM
steve-o
Visiting Guest
Increasing span in ceiling

I am looking to remove a wall in my kitchen, but it will extend the span of the 2x6 joists above to nearly 15'. Above is a bedroom, as well as some attic space behind a knee wall. Probably 10' is bedroom, 5' unused attic.

Can I just sister another 2x6 joist to the existing ones to make up the load bearing? What are other suggestions?

Do I need to have a structural engineer come take a look?

Thank you for any advice.

Old 08-23-04, 04:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
steve-o,

Spanning 2x6 - 15'-0" is to far per span charts and doubling it up will not meet code.

2x10's would do it, if sistered to the 2x6's but I would go 2x12 sistered. Alternative is using TJI Pro 150 - 9 1/2" - 16" O.C. or 11 7/8". Granted in these 2 cases, it does lower the ceiling below but it would be sound. The benefit to this is if you intend on installing recessed cans in the kitchen - provides needed height for them and clearance from above subfloor.

The real question is if these existing 2x6 joists run beyond the load bearing wall and continue to the next - one length or are they stopping and overlapping over this wall?

Next option if one piece is to install a beam but I assume the idea is to redo the kitchen with a clear flat ceiling. Any way you can incorporate your kitchen design to handle this beam? Not knowing length required and size of home, the depth would probably be an issue.

Special Note: Based upon what I mentioned above, you will have to use metal joist hangers to do any of the above. Nailing of the 2x to the existing 2x6's may not be enough and bolts may have to be incorporated. Also no notching can be done to try and rest on top wall plates.

I would get a professional in there to look at what you have to be safe.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 08-23-04 at 05:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: