Code requirements for gas line?

Old 09-13-04, 06:10 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code requirements for gas line?

What are the code requirements for extending an existing natural gas line in a garage? I hate to call the city and alert them ($$) to my efforts to bring my house closer to code. I extended the pipe to get it closer to the clothers dryer where the pipe connects to a metal flex hose. I did this to lessen the amount of flex hose after being told it should be shorter. Is this right?

Old 09-13-04, 06:18 PM
L
Tyger52,

If I smelled a lawsuit in your post about the "addition" -- the patio room that was converted to living space -- the stench is getting pretty bad now!!

Flex lines are fine -- as long as they are less than 48" in length, and not buried in the wall, and have a shut off valve immediately preceeding them.

Dare I ask???

Old 09-13-04, 06:35 PM
T
I didn't consider a lawsuit

Originally Posted by lefty
Tyger52,

If I smelled a lawsuit in your post about the "addition" -- the patio room that was converted to living space -- the stench is getting pretty bad now!!

Flex lines are fine -- as long as they are less than 48" in length, and not buried in the wall, and have a shut off valve immediately preceeding them.

Dare I ask???
I got a good chuckle out of your response, but no, I don't have plans YET for a lawsuit. The flex line previously was mine, about 48" long, now 24" or 12", I forgot which. But how about hanging the extended pipe? The pipe does have a shut off valve, but after a few elbows. Is this OK?

Old 09-13-04, 10:36 PM
L
Code doesn't care about elbows. Just flex lines and unions -- any place the line COULD be taken apart. There has to be a shut off valve before either. Flex lines can't be buried in a wall -- just like an extension cord, they have to be exposed. Solid (iron) pipe has to be properly supported. Now you are getting into the UPC (Plumbing Code), and I'm a General Contractor, not a Plumbing Contractor -- you are getting out of my field of expertise!! If it were me, I would support the line every 5'. That's MORE than what code requires, but then hey -- plumber's tape is CHEAP! (My insurance ain't!!)

Old 09-19-04, 03:14 PM
T
Gas line

You need to consult with your local Building Inspector re: Codes and Permits and Inspections. Do not take a chance with your and your family's safety and the quality of your installation.

Old 09-20-04, 07:01 PM
Tyger52,

One thing that you should consider is that per IRC G2408.2 - If the ignition source is less than 18 inches from the floor, a dryer within a garage could be in violation. Exception to this is if the dryer is listed as a "flammable vapor resistant". If a dryer was out there before and it was "gas" not electric, it may had been approved but then not.

As everyone has recommended, the City should be consulted for the safety of everyone concerned.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-21-04, 10:47 AM
T
Thanks everyone!

I plan to take everyone's advice to get the city inspector out to look the setup. I just spoke with a Structural Engineer friend who gave me some advice about my future plans to put on stone veneer. I would have never thought of what he suggested and my thanks go to him. Likewise, my thanks go to all of the experts who help out here to make my home safer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: