Install attic ladder in garage?

Old 10-20-04, 04:29 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install attic ladder in garage?

Our single story home has a good size attic, previous owners put in a couple of lights on a switch by the current access opening which is in the master bedroom closet. I am planning on keeping the current opening but want to add a ladder to make moving items up and down easier. Bought aluminum attic folding ladder from Home Depot but not sure where I can put it in. A good place would be in the garage, but are there fire restrictions or insulation considerations that I should know? Put another light switch at the new opening?

Old 10-20-04, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Check code where you are at . Here its ok but you have to have a light switch right by it ?????????????

ED

Old 10-20-04, 04:58 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Attic ladder

Most homes today are built with truss systems that can not support any weight. At best the Christmas decorations or some card board boxes (fire hazard). That is why there are no stairs to the attic. The opening is an access for electricians and others to be able to get up there for inspections and repairs.

Attic ladders in garages can be a violation of fire code. If the garage attic is not separated from the house attic by a 'fire rated' wall, penetration of ceiling is a fire hazard that violates codes. Your options may be to construct a one-hour rated firewall between the two attics or not install an attic access in the garage.

You really need to discuss your plans with the local Building Inspector about installing an attic access in the garage, fire codes, load bearing ability of truss system, permits, and any inspections.

Old 10-21-04, 08:35 AM
T
Seems like a waste not to use it

Our house was built in 1968 and from what I can tell, there are no trusses. I can stand up in the attic and walk around. Previous owners put down a lot of planks, making it easier to walk up there. With all that space, I hate to waste it on just the lightweight decorations, although fire hazards are a good point. Doug Aleshire had a post or two about doing what I am describing, I think, I just want to plan it out now. How do I make the ladder door fire rated?

Old 10-21-04, 10:04 AM
Tyger52,

The attic access panel must be either 1/2" plywood or at least 5/8" Type X. This meets fire code requirements. Contact your local building authority for confirmation.

Here are links to ladders,

http://www.wernerladder.com/series.p...7&series=A2512

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...013272-3628601 (wood)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi (aluminum)

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: