Code on building room on existing deck.

Old 11-21-04, 05:27 PM
rjc116
Visiting Guest
Code on building room on existing deck.

My home has a deck built before I bought the house. I understand it was built to code to allow an enclosed room to be built on the deck frame. I understand there is a new national building code that might be more restrictive. This deck is 24" above ground level built on 4 X 4 posts, at 48" intervals resting on cement pillars that are below frost line (36" for our area). Can anyone out there tell me if this is going to meet the new codes? Thanks for your response.

Old 11-21-04, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

The best way to go here .Is call there and ask what code is there. You will need a building permit for the room

ED

Old 11-22-04, 05:49 PM
rjc116,

You'r deck will be able to handle an addition if all was built properly. It is best to have a professional look at it and determine if any improvements must be made to do this.

Plans must be drawn to show what is going to be done and show existing structure and foundation. Not knowing how old the deck is, plans may be available at City Hall.

As Ed mentioned, obtain a building permit prior to doing this.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-26-04, 11:57 AM
L
Also, the USE of the room will have a lot of bearing on whether or not you can do it legally.

If it's "non-conditioned space" -- no heating and no AC -- and the longest wall and one additional wall are 65% "open", then your chances of being able to do it will be much better.

If you are thinking along the lines of doing it as an addition to the house -- living space, with heat, AC, etc. -- then you'll probably be told NO.

Old 11-26-04, 12:00 PM
Lefty,

Why no?

Old 11-26-04, 12:07 PM
L
If the deck was built as a deck, it doesn't have enough of a foundation system to support a room addition -- not if the room is going to be living space. (I'm thinking in terms of a stick built addition, like a den or family room.) I'm pretty sure that this is what rjc116 will be hearing from the bldg. dept.

As a 'patio room' (non-conditioned space, 65% open on 2 walls, etc.), there shouldn't be a problem, as long as the deck is structurally sound.

Old 11-26-04, 12:18 PM
Lefty,

That is basically what I had mentioned before but you described it better. I agree if the deck was built with proper size "load bearing" footings and beams/joists, conversion would be simple to a "habitable space". If not, then "non-conditioned" space is all that it could be without further modifcations and meeting all City requirements.

Thanks

Old 11-26-04, 12:29 PM
L
rjc116,

Ed, Doug and I are all telling you the same thing.

You need a permit to build WHATEVER room you want to put on the deck, and it's all going to depend on just HOW the deck was built (and what condition it's in) as to just what you will be allowed to do. Of course, you could ALWAYS alter the deck as needed to build whatever you desire! That's just part of the fun of 'adding on'!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: