Removing a wall questions

Old 12-16-04, 11:16 AM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing a wall questions

I'm not very familiar with this type of work but I'm hopeful someone may be able to educate me further.

In my condominium I have a 4 ft-high x 6 ft-wide wall that partially separates my kitchen from my living room. This wall runs from the side wall-out like a fence. At the end of the wall is a pillar that extends to the ceiling. It creates somewhat of a window effect if that helps anyone have a clearer picture of how it looks.

As far as I know it doesn't serve much structural support. I've knocked all over the wall and pillar and they both sound pretty hollow. There's a light switch on one side of the pillar and an outlet on the other side. It looks like the pillar doesn’t connect to any joists in the ceiling (I can see kind of a shadow in the ceiling where the joists are located). This is why I’m guessing the wall and end pillar don’t really serve a "supporting" purpose.

Here's my questions…Is there any way I can find out for certain whether the wall and pillar are supporting the ceiling or not? Would I need to call an architect or construction to look at it? Should I call my realtor that sold me the condominium since he’ll possibly have the blue prints?

I apologize if my questions are poorly stated. I know I wouldn’t mind removing the short wall and pillar to gain more open space but as far as the structure questions…it’s all new to me. I’m guessing the light switch and outlet could be moved to another wall but once again I don’t know of the ramifications of such a job.

Thank you for any information anyone can provide.

Old 12-16-04, 04:23 PM
Voyzey,

I would call your realtor and ask for the original blueprints if he has them.

Then I would call a contractor to assess what you really have - blueprints don't always tell the whole story.

Making any changes here may require you getting permission from your association and then getting a building permit. If it appears to be a non-supporting wall, then your choice how you initiate this work.

If all goes well, you could remove this wall. Things like this require a "eyes on" viewing so asking here would be like doing surgery over the phone. Hard to to do.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-16-04, 07:37 PM
the partial height wall (4' high) isn't supporting anything. Obviously, it does not go to the ceiling. You can remove it, no problem.

It *sounds* like the column isn't supporting anything either. I bet that it's about 5" square, which means it's a doubled set of 2x4's, but then they've cut out a notch for the electrical box. This leads me to believe that it's not structural.

BUT!!!!! it might be. Do what Doug said, to determine if it is or not. (& also get permission!!) There's a good possibility that the realtor doesn't have the construction drawings.

Moving the electrical may or may not be easy. It will depend on where the wires come from and have to go to. Either way, it's doable.

good luck!

Old 12-17-04, 08:07 AM
V
Smile Thank you both for your suggestions!

Thank you both for your insight! It was very helpful! I'll check into your suggestions and see what turns up!

Thank you both!

Old 12-17-04, 08:18 AM
Voyzey,

You're very welcome!

Keep us posted on how you made out.

Happy Holidays!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: