hip roof and load bearing wall

Old 12-29-04, 04:43 PM
Chandos
Visiting Guest
Question hip roof and load bearing wall

I've got a 20' x 20' cinderblock outbuilding that I want to convert into a shop. It's got a hip roof with about a 6" overhang. The interior is bisected by a light cinder block wall (half thickness) that's not tied into the exterior walls. The rafters rest atop this wall, though they are not mechanically fastened to it.

My question is this. I want to remove the wall. What do I need to put in its place to sustain a continuous span of twenty feet?

So far I'm thinking that a 2 or 3 x 2x12x20 laminated beam resting at either end on 6x6x8 posts (fastened to the exterior wall) should work. Is this feasible. Is this wall load bearing at all? Am I missing something dangerously obvious, and, if so, how do I make this work?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-04, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello & welcome aboard! Sounds like a real good solution to me, I would provide some temporary support on either side of it while the wall is removed and the beam put into place. I'm gonna move this up to the Architecture & Codes forum and see what the engineer types think of your plan. Happy New Year! :glocke:

Old 12-29-04, 05:24 PM
Chandos
Visiting Guest
Awesome doesn't half get it right!

Thanks for the lightning response. I believe that I can get the beam and posts fastened in place before I remove the interior wall, which sits on a poured concrete floor and is mated to the exterior walls only with mortar.

I will appreciate hearing what the engineer types think. SHould I have posted this there; I understand the no dual-posting policy and many of the threads here seem related to my problems.

Best of the holidays to you, too!

Chandos

Old 12-29-04, 06:49 PM
Chandos,

Don't know where you live so here is a generic answer.

What you are proposing is feasible - but I would suggest at least 3 - 1 3/4" x 14" LVL's. Better option would be a 1 - 5 x 14 GluLam. Bolt and nail them together. If you have the ability to install this on the posts, which I would hope be resting on the post footing or the block footing, then this would work.

Good Luck!

Old 12-30-04, 10:21 AM
Chandos
Visiting Guest
Again, thanks!

I live in the Tidewater of Virginia, in Gloucester County, near the Hampton Roads area. If I understand you correctly, then you're suggesting either a built-up beam of LVL or a single 5 x 14 Glu lam.

At risk of sounding utterly clueless, where does one generally find such things? Who are the ordinary distributors?

I appreciate the help; this site is a terrific resource for DIY.

Cheers!

Chandos

Old 12-30-04, 12:52 PM
Chandos,

These are available through any major lumber yard. Big box stores may have to order them if that is easier for you.

Good Luck!

By the way, thanks for the compliments about our Forum

Old 12-31-04, 01:12 PM
Chandos
Visiting Guest
Great!

That's all I need to know. Much obliged.

Chandos

Old 12-31-04, 01:14 PM
Chandos,

You're welcome!

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: