Floor joists

Old 01-18-05, 11:44 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor joists

We own a small cottage in Cape Cod and I am slowly re doing it before retirement. The cottage is approx.20x24,. I have previously had to replace some framing timbers; evidence of water damage. The house has floor joists going in two directions.From the right wall to the left, about 14 feet, the joists( 2x8) go front to back. The span is about 20 feet, are supported and rest on a beam( 2- 2x10). They rest on the block foundation. No sill plate. The left ten feet of the house have joists that run perpendicular to the others and are toe nailed to a double joist. There is evidence that the joists have lost aout 1/2 inch of height through compression over the 50 year life span of the cottage. Otherwise thet are structurally sound. Should I attempt to replace them for the 1/2 inch sake as a precaution? Should I tie the perp. joists with hangers if I have to replace any contaminated members?

Thanks

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cjbennis,

If there is no damage to any of the existing joists, I would suggest leaving them alone. As you mentioned, the 1/2" you describe as "compression" may not really be an issue unless there is something else that you didn't mention.

Trying to install new joists here where there is not sill plate would be difficult and you would have to trim each end of the new joists just to get them into place. Even then you may not have adequate room to "insert" them.

However, the "toe nailing" is not the best way for attachment and I could see installing joist hangers on these.

Hope this helps!