Need help with determining an entrance width

Old 01-25-05, 10:35 AM
Onnendu
Visiting Guest
Need help with determining an entrance width

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question (yeah, I'm a newbie here) but here goes... I am planning on renovating my 1960's house. The master bedroom contains a dinky little closet typical of the time so we use the tiny bedroom across the hall as a walk in. What I want to do is tear out the closets between these two rooms (two bedroom closets that are back to back and a linen closet at the end of the hall between the two bedroom doors) and make a new entry into the bedroom. The finished product will look like a "T" with the bedroom off the left and the walk in closet on the right. The only door will be at the foot of the T with open entries to the bdrm and w/i. My question is this: The hallway is 3'1" wide (this can not be changed) so how wide do I need to make the entry into the bedroom (left hand entry) in order to get a Queen sized bed around the corner? I don't want to do this by trial and error!

Your help is much appreciated!

Old 01-25-05, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow

hi! thanks for your question. i moved it from Decorating to the Interior Home Improvement forum.......however, i probably should've put it in the Architecture topic instead of this one!!!

at any rate, these guys will know the answer i'm sure!

good luck! sounds like it'll be a great master when it's done!!

Old 01-25-05, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Boy
hard to understand what your tring to do
looks like you want to put queen bed in the room and the both doors are in front of each of them.
the queen bed is in part so bring one at a time in a 30 in. door should be ok
standard size. Get a cardboard box matress for queen and try it.

cheers
pg

Old 01-25-05, 07:36 PM
L
Another way to determine what will work for you would be to get some 1/4" graph paper and draw the entire area out on that. Do it on paper first so You'll know what will work and what won't.

Old 01-25-05, 07:56 PM
Onnendu,

I have a similar configuartion. Hallway is 3'-1" in my current home. I also have a queen size bed as well. Since I have lived in numerous apartments where things do get tight, a queen can easily be tipped on end and slide through a 6'8" doorway. No problem!

Old 01-26-05, 04:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
I would put in the largest door you can fit. I would install a 3'0" (36") door if you can make it fit. The extra width will make it easier to get a king bed in and will save your knuckles when moving furniture in and out. If your hall is only 37" wide it probably can be done but it will not leave room for regular moulding around the door in the hall. Most stores stock doors in 3'0" and 2'6" widths, but can special order ones in 2" increments so you can get a 2'10" or 2'8". While you are at it consider getting a solid core door. They cost about $20 more than the standard hollow core. The solid core door has a more solid feel and can block noise better than a hollow core.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: