"Texas Basement" help needed

Old 02-04-05, 01:16 PM
TSO
Visiting Guest
"Texas Basement" help needed

For those of you who don't know, a Texas basement is a larger space over an attached garage with access from the second floor. It is often finished into a room, called a "bonus room" by builders. I would like to finish mime myself, if possible. Here are some questions, though -

1. Flooring - the large spacw is over a 2 car garage, and so about 20 x 20. The span of the joists is 20 feet. They are 2x12 southern pine, spaced 19 inches apart. Is this adequate for normal living? The sub-floor is already in, and the room is used for storage. I could put in a girder on steel posts that would cross the garage at the 10 foot mark, supporting al the joists, but would rather not:~)

2.Rafters - the room has cathedral ceilings, with a 40 inch knee wall (?) all around before angling up at a greater than 45 degree angle. There are no trusses, just 2x6 ceiling joists that join a main beam at the top. On all four sides, there are randomly placed 2x6 nailed at 90 degrees to the joists and intersecting the floor at 45 degrees. There are about 8 or 9 of these, and I know they are there to add strength and support to the roof. Can they be removed, or compensated for in some way?

3. I will be hiring a professional to take a look, but before I go to the expense, I wanted to get feasability opinions from those experts on this board.
THanks!

Old 02-04-05, 07:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
TSO,

The 2x12 at 19" O.C. for 20 ft span is at the maximum for a live load. I am sure you have some deflection when up there, however slight with one person but there is a bounce, I assume. I would add another in between. I know, not the best option since you ahve subfloor already down but maybe take drywall down in garage. One option, depending on current height in garage is to install a glulam - this could go the whole span without a post in the middle. The other "depending" is if you have 2 garage doors or one if this is an issue, unsure as to what direction garage doors are going. This should be verified by your professional as an option. I think it would be the best choice, if feasible.

The issue of the roof trusses supports also is an issue that can be resolved but again let your professional determine the best avenue.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-11-05, 07:44 AM
TSO
Visiting Guest
Glulam

Thanks, doug, for your input.

Howver, what's a "gluelam"? I am assuming its a structural joist made of laminated woods that bring it up to span strength. Where would I find these, and are they cheaper than a steel joist?
And, can I find one to span 20 feet?

The garage door entrance runs the same way as the joists - ie. the frame is at 90 degrees to the joists. The gluelam would have to run from the wall on the left of the garage to the wall on the right, cutting across the middle of the two cars. THe ceiling is 12 feet, so no problem there. The support of the gluelam would have to be fabricated, though, and at least a channel of drywall removed from the garage ceiling to attach the gluelam to the joists.

Am I talking sense??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: