How to vault a flat ceiling on a gable roof ranch house?

Old 02-07-05, 10:27 PM
johnem3
Visiting Guest
How to vault a flat ceiling on a gable roof ranch house?

I am looking into remodeling a 1950's ranch style house that is 24'x40' with a 18' Roof. The interior ceiling is at 8'. I want to remove the ceiling joists and rock, then run from the load bearing wall up to the roof peak 2x4 framing to continue the wall straight up to the roof. Then I would use spray insulation on the roof underside then rock the ceiling and the extension on the center load beaing wall . Is this reasonable? Am I over simplifying this? Some direction would help. I don't want the outside walls to pull away. Do I still have to truss the outside walls somehow to the new center supports? Please help.

Thanks

Old 02-15-05, 07:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vaulted ceiling

This is an ambitious project, you will have to submit detailed plans to your

local code official. I'm not sure I follow all the details you have in mind. My

guess is that short of an architects plans and seal, you may need to do

special roof trusses, such as scissors trusses or something similar. It is

important to tie in that outside wall.

Old 02-15-05, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
johnem3,

You are definitely making this sound easy. Alterations of any existing roof system is a big issue. You need to get plans drawn up, certified by a structural engineer if you want to modify what you have or you could make it very simple.

Simple meaning, totally remove the roof system over this room and install scissor trusses that would be made for the required span and roof pitch. This would allow for conventional insulation, no worry about roof loads, etc.

Simple in one sense but it will cost you, one way or the other.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: