Permit generally required to have a bathroom fan installed?

Old 03-13-05, 05:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Permit generally required to have a bathroom fan installed?

Just wondering if it is generally required to get a permit to have a bathroom exhaust fan installed.

Old 03-13-05, 10:11 PM
S
Yes, and the odds that bath fans are installed w/o permit verses your wining the lotto....I hope your next meal isn't dependent upon the lotto.

Old 03-14-05, 07:49 PM
S
So what can I expect when I go to apply for the permit?

I'm a first time homeowner so this is all new to me. I'm having an isulation contractor come in to add some more insulation in the attic, since it would make sense to install the bathroom fan before putting the added insulation in, the insulation contractor said he could install the fan, though he is going to contract an electrician to do the wiring.

Will getting the permit require him to draw up specific plans for the bathroom exhaust fan?

Old 03-14-05, 08:57 PM
seezar,

No, it is a simple procedure. If the insulation contractor is going to have an electrician do the wiring, let the electrician obtain the permit. They will have no problem. Obtaining the permit is for your safety and protecting your property if something ever should go wrong.

No problem, rest easy.

Old 03-14-05, 09:08 PM
S
Originally Posted by Doug Aleshire
seezar,

No, it is a simple procedure. If the insulation contractor is going to have an electrician do the wiring, let the electrician obtain the permit. They will have no problem. Obtaining the permit is for your safety and protecting your property if something ever should go wrong.

No problem, rest easy.
Ok, thanks, doesnt sound like that big of a deal. So it sounds like I can speak with the electrician, let them know I want a permit and they should be able to handle it then.

Old 03-14-05, 09:12 PM
seezar,

Yep, they get the permit, it gets inspected, and your done. The permit should be displayed and ensure that they have it BEFORE THEY INSTALL IT. It's very simple and totally painless.

Good Luck!

Old 03-14-05, 09:13 PM
S
Great, thanks for the help!

Old 03-14-05, 09:14 PM
seezar,

You're very welcome!

Need more help, just ask!

Old 03-19-05, 01:57 AM
K
It isn't *totally* painless if you have to pay the city.

My own city permits office will say, "Yes, by law you absolutely need a permit and inspection and so forth for this and that... and don't quote us but if you didn't ask we wouldn't have to tell you" if you get the drift. I do some work for a local politician who needs to keep squeaky clean but most judge better not set the city rolling on their houses.

A modest project, complicated and multiplied by the alliance of eager tradespeople and woken bureaucracy, mushrooms out of control. I know people who ultimately had every floor of their house gutted because they'd wanted to remove six feet of wall, so they could seat two more people at the dining table. First time homeowner, beware!

Old 03-19-05, 08:02 PM
L
Come on -- GET THE PERMIT!!

Other than the $25 or $30 it will cost, it's painless. No plans needed (means guys like Doug won't be charging you for drawings -- sorry Doug!!)

Just think of it as insurance. If you do the fan W/O the permit, and IF the house were to ever burn, that would be just the excuse an insurance would need not to honor a fire claim. So, you want to do it cheap and forgo the permit, playing the odds that the house DOESN'T burn, ...

$25 or $30 of extra expense, or find out you don't REALLY have fire insurance on a $300K house -- YOUR'E CHOICE!!

Old 03-19-05, 08:13 PM
Thanks Lefty!

Lefty,

Thanks!

Kobuchi statements are ones that could instill fear but it is extemely rare for such issues as described to occur.

seezar, get the permit, many things in the America are "grandfathered" in and we are not talking about structural issues. This is the whole point. This is strictly a bathroom exhaust fan, nothing more and nothing less.

Let's leave the dramatics at home and provide assistance to those that need it.

As I said before,

If the insulation contractor is going to have an electrician do the wiring, let the electrician obtain the permit. They will have no problem. Obtaining the permit is for your safety and protecting your property if something ever should go wrong.
There is no reason for further debates on this issue. Good advice has been given and I expect that seezar will get things done per the Code that are in his best interest.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-19-05, 08:38 PM
L
Kobuchi,

There HAS to be a whole lot more to your story than you are saying.

OK, IF the homie wants to move a BEARING wall 6', which is going to cause the joists it's supporting to become overspanned -- then, yes, you are in for some MAJOR construction just to seat 2 more people at the dining room table!! That has NOTHING to do with getting a permit, and what you are required to do with keeping the structure SAFE!! That is simply the inspector stopping the homie from hurting somebody or killing himself (or vica versa!!)

The question has to do with getting a permit to install a vent fan in a bathroom. The ONLY thing the inspector will be looking at is the electrical and the ducting of the fan. I don't care if the rest of the house has Knob and tube wiring -- the inspector CANNOT make a homie bring it up to current code. (The homie would be WELL ADVISED TO DO SO, but that's a whole 'nother story!!)

And Doug,

You know where I was coming from with the comment about guys like you won't be getting paid to draw the plans -- you will be the first one to tell somebody "DON'T WASTE MY TIME!!"

Old 03-19-05, 08:48 PM
Lefty,

I know what you meant and you're absolutely right in what I would say!!

Old 03-19-05, 11:46 PM
K
OK, I overstated the point. Odds are insulating the attic won't pull in any more than the bathroom fan, since the bathroom fan itself shouldn't prompt more work (e.g. electrical update). And seezar's had a taste of how I personally, and almost reluctantly , blow up customer's houses. Insulation guy suggests a fan now while it's easy, then of course the electrician has a few suggestions or dire warnings of his own, and so forth. We can't help it. Perhaps I'm trying to absolve myself for getting innocent homeowners all excited about doing right by their houses.

Old 03-20-05, 12:15 AM
Kobuchi,

No problem. We just need to keep things simple, non-threatening and to the point on how we answer what was asked. We all know of the nightmares out there. I hear about them all the time but we all want things to be better.

At least here on the Forum, we strive to help, not scare everyone.

Best advice is to think before you start typing but I encourage any good advice you can provide to others.

Thanks for the feedback

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: