Permit for a gas fireplace?

Old 05-10-05, 11:04 AM
g_funk3
Visiting Guest
Permit for a gas fireplace?

Do I need a permit for if I want to install a gas fireplace in my basement? If I do how do I find out about codes related to this?

Old 05-10-05, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most places that sell fireplaces know what local codes are pertaining to installation. There may also be piping codes where you live for installation of gas piping. You would also want to check with your Homeowners Insurance Company as many of these require certain criteria for installation. Start with the sellers and they should be able to guide you to the proper agencies you need to contact. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-10-05, 05:48 PM
What kind of gas? You will never be allowed to have an LP fireplace in a basement. (LP sinks and pools in low spots- this would be bad... natural gas rises which is better in some cases)

Better check on the local things about this. Call your gas supplier when in doubt.

Old 05-11-05, 03:43 AM
U
The only source for answers to your questions is your own local municipal or county construction office. They're the ones, and the only ones that can inform you with certainty what permit(s) if any are needed, the fees, what codes must be followed, what inspections will be performed, what corrections must be performed for compliance and so on; and they're the only ones that can inform you with certainty if you can do it yourself, or if you must contract with a licensed installer. Their information is free, your taxes pay their salaries; you just pay for the permit(s) and for noncompliance fines.

Old 05-11-05, 01:30 PM
If you are installing any gas piping, you will need a permit. 'nuff said.

Old 05-12-05, 08:20 PM
g-funk3,

The rule of thumb is that normal routine maintenance does not need permits. Everything else does. You not only have gas line to run that needs to be pressure tested and inspected but you have gas "B" vent to run out to the exterior. This will also need to be inspected for clearances around combustibles. If propane I agree with notuboo that it does not belong in a basement. You could normally install a sheetmetal pan sloped to a drain pipe and then sloped in the pipe to the exterior to allow any leaks to pool and drain but in a basement it would be hard to do.

Hope this helps.

Brian Garrison
General Contractor/Professional Building Designer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: