truss bracing

Old 06-13-05, 11:02 PM
papashaq
Visiting Guest
truss bracing

hey there I am putting up a 26 by 38 garage with 1 foot overhangs. Putting on regular sheathing and shingles. Can anyone help me on where I am going to need permanant bracing on my W trusses? I tried reading the BCSI but it's very confusing, isn't there some where I can find out what I need in plain english? Also is my inspector going to be checking my bracing? Thanks for the help and it is very appreciated. Jason

Old 06-14-05, 12:14 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 06-15-05, 06:20 AM
Truss Bracing

You really need very minimal permanent bracing with trusses if they are installed properly. You must use hurricane ties to fasten the trusses to the top plates after the trusses are up. I always run two 2 x 4's lengthwise on top of the bottom of the trusses to tie them all together. I also run a brace diagionally inside from the peak on the ends down to the bottom of the trusses and nail them onto the 2 x 4's running on top of the trusses. This is not required by code. Just my code of strong building practices. I looked at the link provided above, and I have some real problems with it. They are showing some very bad building practices. Yes, I know alot of people use these practices, but that does not make them right. In fact, I know of two states where these practices are not allow by code. Have fun building. Garages are fun.

Old 06-20-05, 08:28 AM
A
The truss supplier

should be able to provide you a bracing diagram for the perminent bracing on the trusses. If you are in a high wind area and this is a gable goof system you may need X bracing at the building ends.

Old 06-20-05, 10:08 PM
papashaq
Visiting Guest
They did send me a sheet, but it is just the sheet from the BCSI, which covers all bulding sizes, and hard to make heads or tail out of what I need to do for my size bulding...This is my first time using this supplier, and I sure liked my old supplier better they used to mark on the each truss where braces were needed, and where bearing walls needed to go. and supplied sheets on my specific trusses as to other bracing needed. I can figure from my old jobs mostly were to brace, but this is the biggest garage I have built yet, and haven't built anything without any interior walls like this. Thanks for the help all of you, it is sure apprecieated, and that web site is a little interesting.

Old 06-20-05, 11:00 PM
S
Also to be noted, is alot of these sites which discuss trusses, will refer you directly to the local building authority for recommended bracing.

Old 06-26-05, 06:36 AM
kgrundahl
Visiting Guest
Truss Bracing

Here is a link to the bracing information on the web that should help you understand bracing graphically.

http://www.woodtruss.com/projects/woodtruss/bcsi.php

Scroll down and see B3 for web member permanent bracing and B6 for gabel end permanent bracing.

Kirk Grundahl, P.E.
Executive Director

This thread has been edited.

No Ads, Surveys, Advertisements, Solicitations or Pyramid Schemes Allowed In The Forum Topics.

Advertisements within the forum topics or within replies posted or within personal signatures or including email addresses within replies or signatures is not allowed on this web site. Surveys, Ads, Advertisements, Solicitations to market products, services or to hire person(s) to perform work is not allowed in any forum topics.

Posting email addresses for others to contact to obtain information or to market products or directing anyone to personal web sites which can market products or solicit services, etc are not allowed. There Are No Exceptions.

Members posting any of the above or similar, anywhere on the web site are doing so in violations to the policy and are subjected to suspension or banning.

No topics are to be used for personal gain using any method. Allowing any of the above degrades the entire web site for all concerned parties. Read the forum sticky note for additional detailed information.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 06-26-05 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Forum Posting Violation - Please Adhere to Policies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: