hanging drywall in basement- need a permit?

Old 10-11-05, 12:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hanging drywall in basement- need a permit?

I've got an unfinished basement that I want to finish out with drywall/carpet etc. One wall (interior, between basement and garage) is already framed out with insulation, power outlets,etc. the remaining 3 walls are concrete block that will need furring strips. the ceiling is the bottom of the floor joists with boxes already installed for lights. No structural work. The only thing I might add is running some ductwork from the attic down to the basement to have some climate control down there.

My question is, do I need a permit to hang furring strips/drywall? I've been told no by a friend who did the same, but I want to be sure I'm not screwing myself over down the road when we sell.

I live in Gaston County, NC. I've tried looking online at governent websites but can't find when a permit is required.

Old 10-11-05, 01:55 PM
T
Depends on the locale. Where I live, you need a permit for such work, even if it's only to get the "drywall screw" inspection... (yeah, that's right....)

Changing the HVAC will probably require one also......

Call your local permit office - they can either answer the question - or direct you to someone who can.....

While I don't condone it... you could probably get away without the permit. Every "disclosure" I've ever signed (4 in the past 4 years) when selling a home asks if I've done any "structural work" that required a permit......

Old 10-11-05, 07:24 PM
Check the code office. If you need one and do it without, you are subject to fines and may have to tear it all out. (not a fun job) If you are planning any electrical (lights, switches etc) that will be within the walls...another permit. If you have a fire and no permit was issued.....NO INSURANCE coverage.

Old 10-11-05, 09:06 PM
L
The sheetrock -- probably not an issue as far as pulling a permit. HOWEVER, with a garage one one side, you'll HAVE to have a firewall between the garage and the living space.

Doing electrical work and extending the HVAC -- now that NEEDS a permit.

So, the answer is, YES, you indeed pull a permit for the ENTIRE project. (At least that's how it is where I'm at.)

"Disclosure" -- as cited by thezster is one issue. "Insurance", as cited by majakdragon is another. And being able to sleep soundly all night (my CAT attests to that one!!) is yet another!!

Old 10-12-05, 07:17 AM
C
I would definately check with the permit office. I would also suggest adding some form of insulation between the block and drywall, esp if climate control is in the future (check out the basement forum). You only mentioned electic on the interior wall. I would add outlets to the exterior walls at least to bring it up to electric code standards, (i.e one every 12' of wall). You'll probably also need a three way switch on the stair light. If you have any intentions of using it as a bedroom (or having a closet in the room) you'll probably need a second egress (egress window). I know all these things add money, but these are the basic standards now for a finished room. You'll appreciate these basic things in the future.

good luck

Old 10-12-05, 08:34 AM
rprice54,

Last but not least, Smoke Detectors!

Old 10-12-05, 09:32 AM
R
thanks for the input. there's already insulation between the garage and the basement, there's already a 3 way switch, there's a window and sliding glass doors. part of me is leaning towards just covering the insulation in the wall and roof for now and finishing the rest concrete later. not much time off right now.

I'll have to look into the electrical outlets and staying within code. The HVAC is plus/minus right now. It stays pretty comfortable down there right now as is, with just a dehumidifier. It's going to be a big deal (for me at least) to get up in the attic and find someplace I can run it down through the main floor into the basement.

the other issue is right now there's one circuit breaker for the garage and basement, if I add a bunch of outlets and need a new breaker I'm going to have to get a new box because the one that's there is all filled up, but that's for another forum...

Old 10-12-05, 10:22 PM
L
The insulation between the garage ("Unclassified space") and the residence (R-1 or R-3 space) is fine. But, there is a WHOLE lot more to it than that, as Doug, majakdragon, chris8796, and I are trying to tell you!!

There has to be a firewall. 5/8" sheetrock on the garage side is only the beginning. ALL electrical boxes on the garage side of that wall have to be metal. Any exposed plumbing in that wall has to be metal. The sheetrock on the garage side has to be 'fire' taped. The list goes on. And Doug brought up smoke detectors (Good catch Doug!!) For me, they are AUTOMATICALLLY included in any bid that I put out when I KNOW the City or the County will require them. I never give them a thought. Kinda like getting up in the morning -- right after the coffe pot, I'm heading for the potty!! AUTOMATIC!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: