Stair Construction Question

Old 12-05-05, 11:30 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stair Construction Question

Iím going to be on a job where carpet will be torn up from a set of stairs and the homeowner wants to put wood treads in itís place. Iím assuming the stairs are decked with plywood. I have several questions since my stairbuilding experience is limited: 1) The owner may want to use 2by stock for the treads to save money, which will change the height of the first and last steps. How much variation can I get away with on these first steps before itís really noticeable? Does it make sense to slightly vary the carriage heights under the first couple of treads so it wonít be noticed, or is this an issue if weíre only talking about an inch or so in variation? 2) How do I fasten the treads and risers? Iím thinking screws countersunk and wood plugs to mask them on the treads and finishing nails on the risers. Do I use construction adhesive here to keep everything quiet? Where do I apply it? Where the risers contact the treads as well? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks, CT

Old 12-06-05, 12:38 AM
S
The maximum variation tread to tread is 1/8".

Old 12-06-05, 06:20 PM
snoonby is correct. 1/8" inch variation. However, in some cases, your local permit department will also a greater difference on the bottom step. You must get their blessing first before doing this. My recommendation would be to talk with them, and also the owner. Make sure the owner knows of the problem. This is one of those jobs that can come back and haunt you, as well as cost you alot of money. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: