What Is this Called??? (Step-up bedrooms)

Old 06-07-06, 05:57 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 31
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What Is this Called??? (Step-up bedrooms)

Hello, I have been through so many sites trying to figure out the "name" for this type of room/floor set up, so that I can properly address it.
Ok, I own what I believe is a late 1800's/early 1900's "Georgian" style home. My stairs are central and very wide (stairwell is almost 4' wide!), at the top of my stairs are 2 (12'x15')bedrooms, 1 to the right, and one to the left. Here is what I am attempting to name...at the top of my stair landing, in order to enter either bedroom, you must "step up" (one step). In other words, the bedrooms are elevated from the landing. The step is "moulded" (has original mouldings), original, and the doors appear to be original, and even if they were once replaced, they retain their ornate hinges, and knobs. I have only seen this in a few houses, and only one in my neighborhood, which is right next door, because these two houses were built by the same man. Does anyone here know how I should refer to this? I've tried looking at archetectual definitions, and staircase designs, but I cannot find the name for this. The closest I have been able to describe is an "inglenook", but that is usualy an elevated alcove like space set off area of a room with a fireplace, not an entire room. My neighbors are not into historical stuff, and have no idea what this is called either. thanks!!!~~~Catia
Old 07-29-06, 08:07 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,047
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have never seen any special name other than step-up bedroom. Step-up rooms appear not to be limited to bedrooms, as in real estate descriptions one sometimes sees step-up and step-down rooms. These up and down levels provide variation to floor level and interest.

Is it possible that in your older home that it had high ceilings and that floor was raised to run plumbing (wiring?) beneath the raised floor?
Old 08-05-06, 08:21 AM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,999
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
These types of rooms are called raised living spaces. Very popular in that era. Am working on one house now that has that. They are nice, but don't walk out of the bedroom in your sleep.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: