House Shoring Help Needed

Old 06-08-06, 05:25 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I live in the New Orleans Area where everything sinks. We build on concrete slabs atop wooden pilings driven into the ground. Can any one tell me how I can raise my own houses? I have several and it will cost me an enormous amount to hire a shoring company. How can I get started in this business????

Old 06-08-06, 06:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Perry50,

First off - this is labor intensive and the equipment needed can be costly.

I would first discuss this with a structural engineer and go from there.

As usual, Code requirements will have to be adhered to.

This is really not a DIY'er endeavor.

Good Luck!

Old 06-08-06, 06:58 PM

Most of New Orleans area really hasn't got a long enough history (less than 75 years) to show that it is really permanent housing. Some old, higher neighborhoods and some new areas (part of the West Bank), are good, but others are questionable. In some neighborhoods, you can dig a shallow hole along a foundation and then crawl under the slab that is supported by the piling. This happens even when the piling settle in the muck below the city.

The light weight of some of the old houses has given people a false sense of confidence in the long term ability of the soil to support the newer, heavier multi-story homes.

Repairs short of new piling and totally new support are probably temporary. With the old piling attached to the house, you cannot raise the house unless you cut them free and bet on the new fill under the house to stay. Consult a professional to get an idea of what the options are for your houses.

Trying a DIY repair could be a very expensive gamble and possibly not allowed if they really begin to enforce the building codes.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: