No outside walls?

Old 09-04-06, 08:40 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No outside walls?

Hello,

We are remodeling a bedroom that has no out side walls.

My concerns are safety and code related. This a second floor bedroom.

At one time there was a window but a garage with a second level was added on the east side and the window between the two structures was boarded up. That second level is currently unfinished.

Now as it stands the north side wall is actually a full length closet wall that separates a small hallway with a stairway that comes up from the second floor.

The south and west side walls go to an L shaped common hallway with rooms on the other side.

I feel its a safety hazard to not have a second means of exit but is it a code violation or concern.

If so what are my options? I thought of adding a door or window on the north side into the stairway. But that would lead into the stairway. If placed correctly it would face a window 3' away on the other side of the hallway. Would that suffice?

Is it even necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-06, 09:45 AM
C
When was the garage added and was it under a bldg permit? For safety concerns, I would want a second egress. For code concerns, it depends alot on your local jursidiction and the answer to the first question. For livability, also think about natural lighting and ventilation, which have modern code requirements. I would also look hard at the fire safety issues/codes related to an attached garage, i.e solid door, self closing door, etc.

Old 09-05-06, 06:05 AM
E
Most (if not all) municipal codes require a window in an area which is used as a bedroom.

IMO, this is one of the most important Codes and I cannot understand why any municipality (if any) would allow a bedroom without a window. Code or not, put a window in.

Old 09-05-06, 05:31 PM
E
There was a permit pulled to add the garage. No mention of the existing rooms was made at the time or since.

em69, I'd love to put a window in but ....were? in the hallway?

What I'm hoping to do now is add a second door on the north wall that leads to the stairway between the first and second floor.

That puts a door on the west side of the room entering a common hallway and a second egress on the north to another hall way. The door will open 3' across the hallway to an outside window on the front of the house.

That should do it. No?

Old 09-06-06, 05:35 AM
E
Originally Posted by Eddy G
I'd love to put a window in but ....where? in the hallway?
I don't know, I would have to see a plan of the house. Again, most Codes require a window in an area where it is considered a bedroom. You might not have a choice.

A window is far superior then another door as it gives you direct access to outside should there be fire in the stairwell.

IMO, I wouldn't be able to sleep in a room where there was no window.

Old 09-06-06, 06:48 AM
No outside walls?

Without a direct access to the outside, do not expect to call it a baedroom when you go to sell the home. At best, you may be able to call it a storage room and include it in the square footage.

You may have been able to get a permit for the garage previously if it was not noted on the plans that the area was a bedroom. That does not mean it is a legal bedroom today.

People pay for bedrooms and usable sqare footage when they buy homes.

Dick

Old 09-06-06, 01:19 PM
C
Maybe expand this bedroom into the new second story addition, if its close to an exterior wall. You can add a reading nook which just happens to have a window.

Old 09-06-06, 02:44 PM
E
Originally Posted by chris8796
Maybe expand this bedroom into the new second story addition, if its close to an exterior wall. You can add a reading nook which just happens to have a window.
You beat me to the punch. Thats what I'm going to have to do.
That room does have an outside wall with two windows.

It really is the only way to go. Money wise its a budget buster but in the long run its for the best.

Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: