Footings code in North Carolina

Old 09-15-06, 09:42 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

It's the middle of the night and if I call my buddies this late with a question, i'll be killed. Maybe you can help.

I'm setting plans for an 8x10 addition to my eight year old house. I hope I can put down about 6 block piers with cement footers. Do you suppose they might want me to pour perimeter footings even for this small room?

It wouldn't kill me to do it anyway. That little bit of concrete I can mix in a drum, but the time factor is present since I'll be doing the labor myself.

Old 09-16-06, 07:49 AM

I don't know about any local code modifications, but generally both pier foundations or continuous are permiited.

From a practical standpoint, you would be best off using the type of foundation system you have on the original construction. Then you can easily make the perimeter match.

If you go with a pier foundation, make sure the pad under the piers is large enough.

I don't know if you have frost depth requirements, but follow or exceed them unless the local code officials feel we really have global warming. - Even then, the deeper the better and the better the soil.

Good luck!!

Dick

Old 09-25-06, 12:35 PM
Morania,

I always recomend a continuous footing even if the existing is on pier. It is stronger and more durable than a pier footing type foundation system.

good luck,

Brian Garrison
General Contractor

Old 09-25-06, 03:57 PM

I just noticed your address -

If you are in an area where there is the possibility of a storm surge, use rectangular piers (reinforced and deep). That fine sand erodes easily. I am not paranoid, but I remember the people noth of you at Strawbridge when they were saying "everyone will have oceanfront eventually".

As much as I like a continuous footing, there is a place for piers. I saw this in the Katrina devastation where the solid walls picked up too much of the gulf storm surge load. In that isolated area, rectangular reinforced block piers with the long dimension perpendicular to the coast was the ideal combination of strength and stability. Far better than square concrete or round timber.

Dick

Old 09-25-06, 10:25 PM
M
Global warming.....

I believe in it but I'm not alarmed about it. I am two miles from the shore.
That said, you're right. I expect that I'll be an old guy with beach front property. I'll probably be making some sort of relief ports in my brick skirting that the builder was required to put in- something I can take down for emergencies.

Your point makes me wonder if I should go ahead and leave the bottom of this addition open. I will definitely be exceeding code for the depth of this stuff. I'm on terra firma but thought this seaward room could be a deep anchor for the rest of the house.

Funny you brought this up. It had actually crossed my mind and I wasn't sure if I was "over engineering."

Old 09-26-06, 12:30 PM

If you are 2 miles from the shore and have some elevation, you don't have too much worry about a big surge. - Just based on my Gulf experience.

Almost any skirting wil be much weaker than the reinforced block piers and would blow out leaving the piers and reducing the pressure on the foundation (just like a knock-out panel).

The sound between you and the ocean is pretty big and the barrier island are not to high, so you could get a inward surge. At least you have better roads out of the area than there were 15 years ago when I would go to the Banks from Chesapeake on weekends.

Good luck.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: