Enclosing porch

Old 01-02-07, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Enclosing porch

As the title states, I am wanting to enclose our back patio into a livable space.

Currenty, the rear patio has a concrete slab and I am wanting to extend this concrete slab another 2-3 feet.

Questions:

1. Do they pour the concrete porch slabs the same as the rest of the house? I do not want to tear all this concrete up just to pour new if possible.

2. Is it possible to extend the concrete out without expansion problems?

Any insite will be nice before I hire someone.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 01:27 PM
Enclosing porch

It will best to have a professional look at the slab that is in place and give you some options and drawing to fit your choice. In the big picture, the cost of removal and replacement with a proper, larger slab may not much more, if any than trying to add on and bond a narrow strip that may cause problems (settlement, etc.) later on. The concrete does not expand - it shrinks.

You will need them for a permit. Without a permit, you can get in trouble while you are building. Also, if you go to sell, it may be difficult to include the square footage in the livable home area. The less the square footage, the lower the valuation(value) and the lower the possible mortgage for the buyer. - Can limit the number of possible purchasers.

Dick

Old 01-02-07, 01:48 PM
Thanks Dick!

I was going to do this project right, meaing permits for everything. I am not doing this project myself, I will hire a contractor.

I appreciate your insite! Looks like I may be renting a jack hammer sometime soon. :-p But I will let the contractor/engineer decide that.

Thanks again.

Old 01-02-07, 08:25 PM
L
Exactly what Dick said.

Additionally, your existing slab is probably just that -- a slab about 4" thick. In all likelihood, you'll have to have a perimeter footing to support the walls. A pro who can actually SEE it will be able to tell you more accurately than we can.

Old 01-03-07, 03:47 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Combining what Mike and Dick said, the slab will probably need to have perimeter support for the walls and roofline, and tearing out the old will be best, although it will cost some to have it demo'd.
I am on my third one in the same neighborhood (actually three houses in a row), but our situation is a little different. Off the side of a mountain and on the second story, usually 12' high. Luckily these builders did it right, although only a deck in the deep south, they installed 2' wide and 2' deep footings and 6'x 12" sonotubes up from there for the support. Without that support you take a chance of slippage. I was impressed. Pouring a strip will likely fail over time with slippage, shrinkage, etc.
With a new pour, you can also preplan your electrical better, if you choose to run it under the slab in conduit.

Old 01-03-07, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the porch slab and did notice it was slightly unlevel. It tended to slop to one side. Hard to notice just looking, but giving it a good eye, I noticed it. Saying this, I will probably tear it all up and pour fresh like you guys said.

I have an additional question, which may be to difficult to answer in here.

Seeing this porch will be fully enclosed, to include running electric, cable, HVAC, slab, windows, etc, what would you guys believe to be the most expensive part of the project?

I heard pouring the concrete is a pretty penny. The porch will be approx. 15'x15'.

I'm guessing the concrete and electric to be the most expensive?

I can run the cable (coax) myself, so that's not a problem.

I know it's hard to determine price because of how prices of materials change. My wife keeps asking me about how much, and I tell her around $5k-10k.

that price including a new HVAC system to the house, so leaning more towards 10k.

Old 01-06-07, 08:04 AM
I think you are going to have a hard time doing all that work for 10K. A new HVAC system for your house is going to run close to half that number. I think the structure itself will probably run you about 6 to 9k depending on the finishes etc. Without seeing plans I would assume your concrete and framing to be the most expensive items followed by the electrical.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-07, 04:52 PM
I think I mistyped my original. I am just going to have the new enclosed porch HVAC ready if that makes sense.

I am replacing my whole HVAC anyways, and I know that alone is gonna cost me up to at least $6-7K.

Originally Posted by NHBuilder View Post
I think you are going to have a hard time doing all that work for 10K. A new HVAC system for your house is going to run close to half that number. I think the structure itself will probably run you about 6 to 9k depending on the finishes etc. Without seeing plans I would assume your concrete and framing to be the most expensive items followed by the electrical.

Good luck!