Need Permit for convert to Storage-shed from Car-Port?

Old 05-05-07, 08:23 AM
PineCone's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eastern US
Posts: 627
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Permit for convert to Storage-shed from Car-Port?

We have a Car-port which is about 12 x 20 with three-sides enclosed without door. Now, we want to convert it to a Storage-Shed. The car-port is, so called, detached Car-port directly connected to the family-room and using for entrance instead of our main front-door.

If we convert the Car-port to Storage-Shed, do we need to install 'door?'
Because, all sheds have all 'three walls' enclosed with a door in its front.

Wonder what form of Permit do we need to obtain for that work?
Old 05-05-07, 08:59 AM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,047
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Check with your local building code office re: permits and their definition of what qualifies as a shed.

Your question re: the door is not clear. It seems a door would be necessary for entry and exit and for security. It is also not clear how a 'detached Car-port directly connected to the family-room' can be detached.
Old 05-05-07, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,416
Received 786 Upvotes on 689 Posts
The bldg permit and/or zoning office can tell you what is needed or allowed to be done.

I'm also confused [and curious] about the attached/dettached and door

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: