fine for 5 years now 4 new craks in foundation

Old 09-17-07, 09:12 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have been in this house for 5 years now and knew of 2 cracks in the foundation when we bought. Everything has been fine except this summer I noticed 4 new cracks in the foundation, 1 in each wall.

My lot is 200x200 level, backing on to a forest. The only couple of strange stuff that has happened was we had a very warm winter for 50% of it. Then it was normal cold temps for 6 weeks and back to warmer temps. We had a lot less snow and not a lot of rain this summer. After the winter I noticed a portion of the back lot had sunk 3-6inches in sections. Other parts of the lot show slight sinking but not much.

Who should I call in to look at the lot and the foundation? I see in some posts an engineer should be called in and other a foundation company.

Can a house be stopped from sinking if the lot around is still falling down? Is this something I would have to pay for or could I see if insurnace would pay for it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-07, 09:23 PM

Since you do have soil settlement on your property, contact a geo-technical engineer (called a soils engineer at one time) to determine what is going on and if it is temporary or a long term situation.

A sturctural engineer can look at your house and determine the way to repair it, but he would need information on the soil to make any long term assesment.

Dick

Old 09-17-07, 09:45 PM
A
Thanks, I'll find a geo-technical engineer first thing to have them see what's going on.

Alex