How to construct cantilevered stair treads

Old 03-21-08, 01:16 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile How to construct cantilevered stair treads

We are having built a stairway using old cedar for the treads which will be connected on only one end. The treads will be 130 cm and about 7 to 8 cm thick, 35 cm deep. The treads will be connected to 40 cm thick cement block walls. What design of steel brace is necessary to carry the treads and to anchor into the block walls. This is a U winding stair by the way. thanks in advance...

Old 03-21-08, 04:52 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I hope you got an engineer that knows what he is doing.....

Old 03-22-08, 10:45 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
WHO is going to do this metal work?

Around here, we have this custom metal craft outfit that builds egress jump platforms and other stuff from iron (they made such stuff for me in my more construction days), and I would probably contact them to see if they have ever done such custom fabrication.

Do you have any such outfits by you? If say you did, or found someone else capable of welding up such custom work, they'd also need to know, I'm sure, if stuff like refrigerators or whatever was ever going to be dollied up those stairs. Or even lots of childeren bouncing around, chasing up and down at once -anything like that. Best to overbuild, for unseen reasons.

Years ago an outside stariway collapsed under the weight of me and my partnher, carrying a big rubber garbage can down the stairs containing plaster filled to the top (probably hundreds of pounds plus our weight on top of it and the jarring of the heavy can as we lowered it step by step). The stairs fell when we were 2 steps down from the top and lucky it fell about 3 feet and hung up on some cross bracing below.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: