Mobile home remodel

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-09, 10:33 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mobile home remodel

I have a 1980 Fleetwood Double wide mobile home. I'm trying to find out if the interior walls have any load bearing qualities to them. The reason for this is that I'd like to move a wall to increase the size of our kitchen. I suspect that they are not load bearing as they are made from 1x4 lumber, but I do want to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ralph

Old 02-05-09, 12:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ralph!

While I've worked on quite a few single wides, I've not done a lot of work on double wides. I've never run across a load bearing wall in a single wide other than the exterior walls. A double wide normally has 2x4 exterior walls and a 2x3 common wall. The sales people like to claim the middle wall is a 2x6 once the 2 halfs are joined.

It would be hard for a 1x4 wall to carry much load.

Old 02-05-09, 01:12 PM
For your own safety (and your family's), let me explain some issues, starting with the building codes
As we all know, there are building codes, but each state / province has its own version / adaptation. An Architect, Engineer, etc must elaborate the interpretation / application of the Building codes, calculation of structures and foundations, for each project, etc. Not only for the technical understanding of these issues, but for the liability.
An advice regarding a technical subject (something basic as the beam dimension and independent if you are paid for this advice or not) implies liability.
Follow a structural advice provided through Internet is DANGEROUS
Structures / materials are quite different depending the characteristics of the project, load, soil / topography, wind conditions and seismic calculations.
Certainly, if you don't know these answers, then it is not a DIY task so I'd recommend a consultation with an structural engineer in order to analyze the whole situation

Old 02-05-09, 02:29 PM
R
Mobile home remodel

Thanks for the info...I was of the same opinion, that most of the interior walls were not load bearing. This wall is below a portion of ceiling that is not vaulted. The roof supports are engineered trusses. I intend to move the wall about three feet, so there would still be support in the area. I will be using 2x4 construction.
Thanks,
Ralph

Old 02-05-09, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
I've never seen the truss system in a double wide but the older single wides used a truss system that consists of 1x2s with scrap paneling for gussets. I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in the MH truss system. I'm sure you will know more once you open it up

Old 02-05-09, 05:49 PM
L
Ralph,

You are dealing with manufactured housing. Any alterations to it would require a permit from the STATE -- not you local city or county bldg. dept. Whether you get the permit or not is your call. I would suggest that you do.

None of the interior walls are bearing, except for the one down the center. That one has to be so that they can transport the units. If THAT'S the one you are talking about moving, you'll have problems.

Old 02-05-09, 11:29 PM
R
Thanks for the info Lefty. We're not going to touch any walls near the center. The wall in question is between the kitchen and the laundry room. We have made additions to our home in the past, so we are familiar with the permiting process. We'll need to contact Labor and Industries for a permit and inspection.
Thanks again...

Old 02-05-09, 11:33 PM
R
marksr,
We've got that type of truss, but they've been reinforced with 2x6. We had the roof done some time ago. Still, they do leave a lot to be desired.
Ralph

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: