multiple dormer styles on craftsman bungalow

Old 08-26-09, 07:12 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
multiple dormer styles on craftsman bungalow

Assuming our repair request is resolved amicably my wife and I will be the new owners of a craftsman style bungalow in Louisville, KY. We are considering making our first renovation the finishing of the attic into a master suite. The long beam of the roof is front to back, and the roof is hipped at the front with a gabled dormer. To get more attic floor space we want to dormer out about 12 feet on each side of the roof. I wonder what are some opinions on whether it is appropriate for this style of house to make all the dormers the same style or if multiple dormer styles would be acceptable assuming we want to retain the historic character of the house. I am in the very early stages of this decision, but wonder if shed dormers would be appropriate, and also which style would provide the most interior function.

With thanks in advance for your help,
Bill.

Old 08-26-09, 08:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Bill_V and welcome to DIY

The Craftsman style can be identified by some nain characteristics-->
Low pitched with hipped / gabled roof
Large overhanging eaves,
Exposed rafters / decorative brackets under eaves
Front porch beneath extension of main roof
Tapered, square columns supporting roof
Hand-crafted details in stone or woodwork

Now, there 4 subtypes in this style
- Front Gabled roof
- Cross gabled roof
- Side gabled roof
- Hipped roof

You can see some pictures of Craftsman Style in this link
So first, we need top determine the character of the house. If you can post a picture, I will be able to provide a better advice

In order to set an image here follow these easy steps-->
1 - upload your picture to a free online photoalbum like Photobucket or Flickr , for example
2 - Look for the link of your picture (usually, photoalbums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located),
3 - In the DIY Forum--> Reply post or open a new post--> Press the 'Insert Image' icon above and paste the link--> or type after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: