Window selection - need help

Old 02-01-10, 12:16 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window selection - need help

We are getting new windows and cannot decide on two things, the color and style. Should we get black or white trim? And should we get picture/fixed, double hung or casement style windows?? Please note we are trying to go for a more modern look - not traditional here is a pic of of our home after the jump:

http://picklemedia1.scrippsnetworks....3_medium.jpg?0

Old 02-01-10, 02:54 PM
Hi lizmariezta, welcome to DIY!

Analysing the style and elevation of your home, I'd suggest to avoid the black color and intensify the white color in the windows and accessories.
I think that white double hung windows with white shutters, for example, will emphasize the horizontak line and the color hue

Old 02-02-10, 10:16 AM
M
Originally Posted by lizmariezta View Post
We are getting new windows and cannot decide on two things, the color and style. Should we get black or white trim? And should we get picture/fixed, double hung or casement style windows?? Please note we are trying to go for a more modern look - not traditional here is a pic of of our home after the jump:

liz
You touch on issues that have to do with more than just "style".
Aside from "trim" colors....Design 101: Form follows Function.
Most importantly You have not said what type of replacement windows you are considering. Wood, Wood Clad, Composite, Fiberglass, Aluminum, Vinyl? Is the trim integral with the window frame - or to be added after the retrofit is done?
What is your weather exposure? (wind, rain) (STORM!?)
Windows perform differently depending on their operation (how they open)
Casement windows are your best bet next to a fixed (picture) when it comes to preventing wind/rain penetration. Frame construction will also impact that performance, once again... wood, vinyl, etc. ? Are you planning on retrofitting the entire house - or will that happen in stages. What are the interior site lines from room to room like?
(Can dining room window(s) be seen from the living room etc.
Once you understand the function, it can be a lot easier to get to the "form" answers.

Old 02-02-10, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by menoexpert View Post
liz
Design 101: Form follows Function.
This concept became outdated in after WWII, the organic architecture, Frank L. Wright, etc
I'd recommend to check / read about the praire houses and movement
Frank Lloyd Wright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-10, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'd like to interject one thing. Lizmariezta is the house brick, and was it recently painted to look like a battleship? I believe I would start with an overall lightening of the color of the house itself, then migrate to accenting the white windows, maybe not with white shutters but with ones that would complement your new paint job. House is really dark IMO. With your overhang, you may consider casement windows if you use flow through ventilation during temperate months. I know Dallas can get hot, but spring and fall offer nice breezes that casements would enhance. Otherwise double hung would work nicely, as Patricia suggested.

Last edited by pmgca; 02-02-10 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Non beneficial / out of topic comment
Old 02-02-10, 04:57 PM
M
Huh?!

Originally Posted by pmgca View Post
This concept became outdated in after WWII, the organic architecture, Frank L. Wright, etc
I'd recommend to check / read about the praire houses and movement
Frank Lloyd Wright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Frankly,
I'm speechless.
I've probably stumbled into the wrong forum.
That said, I'm still speechless and will leave it at that.

JH

Old 02-02-10, 05:40 PM
Well, I wasn't going to take sides on the comments posted, but since Patricia insists, here goes. I think practicality dictates the type of looks a house has. Pretty for the sake of pretty accomplishes nothing. The facing of the house probably has the most to do with how openings are handled. How are your prevailing winds/storms? Looking into a picture window that is ill placed can expose parts of the house you may not want to be exposed, so that function dictates form.
Nothing is "dated". Individual expression should not be supressed by the changing times. What is old will become new again.

Old 02-02-10, 05:41 PM
Hi JH,

not sure what do you mean
As we are in the Architecture forum, I answered about.... Architecture
What I meant is the fact that in Architecture, the concept 'form following function" is not longer valid and certainly is not part of Design 101.
This is related with lots of reasons. Windows, in particular, have a very important role in green architecture, style, etc.
I mentioned Frank L Wright, because I imagined that you;d be interested in the concepts, as usually members are
Sorry I added that additional info

Chandler: about "outdated"--> notice that in this case, we are not talking about fashion, we are talking of the concepts of green architecture. Example, in the past, symmetry was a must to follow certain styles, and if the house had 3 windows in one side, There MUST be 3 of the other. And then form and function were "married" for ever. Today, the change is not in the "fashion" but in the concept

Old 02-02-10, 06:10 PM
I was just going by the forum title Architecture, Style and Design which would have to incorporate some "fashion", although I feel practicality should dictate the style and design of the building. And not too sure what "green" architecture is. Not all architecture can be totally "green", based on it's location, facing, storm incidence, etc. In such an instance, all you can do is be a good steward. And I think the "concept" IS the "fashion", and it works great!

Old 02-02-10, 08:34 PM
Chandler,

But you can be sure that we (Architects) do Design and Architectural concepts.... not Fashion!!!

BTW, we have a group of Forums "Do It Yourself Going Green Center Forum Topics", you will be very welcome
http://forum.doityourself.com/do-you...um-topics-328/

Old 02-03-10, 09:44 AM
M
Considering the Question:

Originally Posted by lizmariezta View Post

My Dear Lizmariezta I'm willing to bet you are not looking for the purist's answer to your design question. With today's fabricating technology one can make a fixed (picture) window look like a casement and a casement look like a double hung while assuring each sash site-line is perfect in relation to other openings on other elevations that have differing operators. In the end it all comes down to budget.
Many replacement window salespeople have in their presentation arsenal, software that allows them to apply a new look to a digital photograph of your home. This gives you the opportunity to see the windows in question with(out) dividing bars, different trim options, colors, etc.
None of us pontificating here thus far have considered the scale of your windows and the effect that will have on your ultimate decision. Unless your budget dictates otherwise the openings in question look large for any but the more expensive double hungs. Ah, but there I go off on functionality again. Design wise, you can start by getting rid of the multiple "TDL" look which may be enough to satisfy your desire to go with perhaps cleaner (more modern) lines. Chandler gave excellent advice regarding casement windows and natural ventilation. (Going green without knowing it.) Please educate yourself. Look at some of the national association web sites. American Architectural Manufacturers Association is an excellent source. There you can research the claims that your paticular (typical) replacement window salesperson is making. Please ask whomever is ultimately going to do the actual work as to their installation approach. It will greatly affect the end result. Some of the larger companies in the industry have the worst installation details. You can think of your windows as TV sets. You now have 42" TV's. Are you willing to replace them with 36"?
As with any home improvement project, get references. Talk to friends, family, neighbors, that have had similar work done. Remain skeptical.

JH

Old 02-03-10, 10:17 AM
M
Originally Posted by pmgca View Post
Hi JH,

not sure what do you mean
As we are in the Architecture forum, I answered about.... Architecture
What I meant is the fact that in Architecture, the concept 'form following function" is not longer valid and certainly is not part of Design 101.
This is related with lots of reasons. Windows, in particular, have a very important role in green architecture, style, etc.
I mentioned Frank L Wright, because I imagined that you;d be interested in the concepts, as usually members are
Sorry I added that additional info

Chandler: about "outdated"--> notice that in this case, we are not talking about fashion, we are talking of the concepts of green architecture. Example, in the past, symmetry was a must to follow certain styles, and if the house had 3 windows in one side, There MUST be 3 of the other. And then form and function were "married" for ever. Today, the change is not in the "fashion" but in the concept
The person that started this thread has got to be shaking their head at this point. Having been in other forums where a certain etiquette is followed as such that one member never attack anothers comment when they are trying to help someone else, even if that comment seems misquided. i.e., give it the white shotgun approach. I did not speak to your response at all, but tried to give the person seeking advice some food for thought when considering such a major investment. Seeing that you are the moderator, and based on your comments, this is obviously your bully pulpit. So, excusing my confusion for comments addressed to me - going so completely off point - by answering that you spoke to architecture should not surprise me. But I remain speechless. Well maybe not quite.
Chandler tried to be polite in holding back when just mentioning a battleship. On a design standpoint, the front elevation of this poor questioners abode should have dynamite applied. But I didn't go there either.
Spinning off to FLW was so far into left field, I still remain speechless.
An informed, educated consumer can make far better decisions when it comes to such an important subject as messing with the bulding envelope.
Validity? Yes, well it all works on paper doesn't it?
I will stand by rule number one. If that does not apply to fenestration, I don't know what better advice to give.
See you in the LVL department.
- JH

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: