Post and Beam Carport... On a Slope

Old 01-27-11, 08:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post and Beam Carport... On a Slope

I would like to put a carport on my drive but it has 2/12 slope. The first thing that come to mind as with any structure gravity is your worst enemy, So my thought is the posts need to be set plumb verses being square to avoid lateral stress. I have attached a rough drawing of the scenario.

Can Anyone confirm this? Thanks,

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...ED/carport.jpg

Old 01-29-11, 06:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes, and your roof should be level as opposed to slanted with the drive. Plumb and square. Doesn't matter about the lay of the land. Longer posts in the back, shorter in front. I know your drawing is cursory, but don't forget bracing in both planes.
Building it plumb and square will put gravitational pull directly down, and not at an angle.

Old 01-29-11, 10:53 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response...

The idea was to follow the contour of the drive. Are you saying that is not posiible?

If the posts, joists and rafters are all plumb, shouldn't it be structurely sound? Nothing would be level but thats the idea.

Old 01-29-11, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Following the contour of the driveway would be acceptable if you were installing a flat metal type roof. It will even help with drainage. But your design will really look funky, sort of like a roof waiting to fall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: