Structural Modifications?

Old 02-07-11, 12:07 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Structural Modifications?

Hi there, I currently have a situation where part of my second storey house is supported by 3 metal post/columns, but I want to modify it so that I can drive a car through the 3 metal post (ie. make the gap wider between 2 of the post)

I imagine this will probably be achieved by replacing 2 of the post to a thicker post, and adding a steel beam or something similar between the 2 thicker post...

but how would I go about doing this? ie how can I support the house while replacing the post and adding the beam etc.? What is the easiest way? Thanks in advance for any help...

Old 02-07-11, 12:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Generally, this kind of modification requires a structural engineer on site to assess the situation

Old 02-07-11, 02:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
You definitely want the engineer's input! You need to know for sure what you install will carry the load with no future issues.
After the engineer signs off on what is needed, you'd built a temporary wall to carry the load while the beam is put in place.

Old 02-08-11, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Two temporary walls if this is midspan (OP didn't say), one on either side of the beam, just in case the joisting is joined over the beam.

Old 02-08-11, 07:01 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the input guys... so I need to specifically look in the phone book for "structual engineer"? not any licensed builder?

with this scenario, what I can't visualize though, is even if you use a temporary wall or if you use a temporary pole or whatever, how do you manage to get the old pole out and "swap" the new pole and beam in at the same time? Say if you built a temporary wall, got the old column/pole out, but when you try to swap in the beam, your temporary wall would still be in the way?

Old 02-08-11, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I've never had to hire one but I'd think if you can't find a structural engineer in the phone book - call an architect, they should be able to point you in the right direction. The permit office may have a list of engineers or would also be able to point you towards one.

If it isn't feasible to thread the new beam thru the temporary wall, you could set in on the floor, build your temporary walls, remove the post and insert the beam then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: