renovations

Old 01-02-12, 10:00 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
renovations

I recently bought a house that has an enclosed patio addition (W 13' x H 7' x L 21'). Trusses perpendicular to the length of the room were used to set up the the roof and ceiling. I want to make a cathedral ceiling in the room to make it more part of the homes original construction (1983) and has a cathedral ceiling in the living room. I want to cut the bottoms off the trusses one at a time and move it up on the inverted v shape 24 inches. This would keep the inverted v from collapsing while allowing for a gradual slope up from the outside walls.

The second part of the renovation is more straight forward with the removal of the outside brick which is still in the enclosed room. I'll be taking out two windows between the addition and the dining area of the house enclose the openings with sheet rock and sheet rocking the addition wall. Then I want add headers and replace the 32 inch door and install some nice pocket doors (36 inch each) between the addition and dinning area allowing for a large 72 inches opening. I won't loose any floor space due to door swing. The pocket doors will allow me to shut off the room when I don't want to keep it at the same temperature as the rest of the house. The addition has its own window style heat pump in the wall. The main house has a down draft heat and air system.

Finally I want to remove the sliding glass door and put in French doors to the outside.

The structural change of the trusses should not cause any problem as they are still held together just 24 inches higher than where they are now.

Do you see any major issues with the cathedral ceiling or the pocket doors??

Old 01-03-12, 06:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Pocket doors are great. Trusses are manufactured to certain weight load specifications and cannot be altered, period. Now, you may spend a little money to have an architect look at the situation (since we can't see it) and offer viable alternative alterations. That would be money well spent.

Old 01-03-12, 09:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I'm with Chandler - get someone qualified on-site to make the call on the trusses.

Old 01-09-12, 07:41 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
altering the trusses could be a big issue as already stated. furthermore it is possible that the patio addition was not constructed to be a year-round space. do you know the type and condition of the foundation under this addition? Depending on the type of construction used you may need considerable renovation to alter the space like you would like to. As for the pocket doors remember a 72" opening is really a 144" opening when it is a pocket door and you are proposing to put this in a bearing wall. The header will need to be substantial and it still may deflect enough to make operation of the pocket door difficult. You may want to consider sliding doors that are surface mounted to one side of the wall. Whatever you do it sounds like you need some professional advise before you go further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: