Missing Brace on Truss

Old 11-06-14, 07:40 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Missing Brace on Truss

Whoever installed the HVAC system in my cut out a brace on one of the trusses so he could run duct work. Now that I am trying to sell the house the buyer wants that brace put back in the truss.

Because the HVAC guy put the duct box in the path of where the brace was supposed to go, I am not sure how to go about fixing it.

In the contract it says we it has to be professionally installed, but says nothing about needing a structural engineer. However, everyone we call wants to charge us $800 to bring in an engineer to draw up plans and to repair the truss.

It seems a little high to nail a 2x4 back into place. I can't go after hvac guy, because it happened before I bought house. The idiot installed a unit too small for the house as well, so I had to replace it anyway when the system was only a year old. Moron.

Name:  finkedit.jpg
Views: 19093
Size:  16.8 KB

Looking at the image is the type of truss I have. The brace circled in red has been cut out.

What type of contractor should I call about getting this fixed? Will I really need a structural engineer?

Old 11-06-14, 08:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,294
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So is the new unit still sitting in the same spot so it still needs to be left out?
No company name and or info stamped on the trusses so you could contact them for some redesign ideas?
Old 11-06-14, 08:49 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Will I really need a structural engineer?
I am all but certain that you will. Further, he will most likely need to inspect it both before and after the repair; before to see what it is so he can properly write the specifications for the repair and after to ensure the repair was made to those specifications. Afterwards he will write a certification with his state-issued stamp to prove the repair was done to accepted standards and specifications.

As to who to call to actually make the repair, I don't know. I would think that anyone (including yourself) could make the repair as long as the engineer's specifications and instructions were followed.
Old 11-06-14, 09:31 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 29,640
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
If it's going right back in where it was... and if it was my house, I'd get a nice piece of structural grade 2x4 and some mending plates that are comparable in size to those on the opposite side (sold in the aisle with the joist hangers) and put it in myself.

If it looks like a professional did it, then it was "professionally done".
Old 11-06-14, 10:33 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So is the new unit still sitting in the same spot so it still needs to be left out?
the box is not directly in the path, but the duct coming out of the box joins very close to that point and is in the path. To put it back in place the box would probably have to be moved or rebuilt. It is barely in the way, but just enough.

If I was to angle the brace upwards another 10-15 degrees or so it would miss the box. However, by the book it wouldn't be as structurally sound, so some sort of redesign might be needed. Of course that brace as been off for 6 years, so its not like the roof is going anywhere anyways.

Im tempted just to run the 2x4 right through the duct work. Lol. Think the buyer would complain?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: