Any Programs for Making Remodel Plans

Old 05-11-15, 02:29 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any Programs for Making Remodel Plans

I'm starting out on a new kitchen remodel. I intend to do this right and obtain full permits for everything I was told I need to make drawings and provide measurements for the whole house.

i'm a terrible artist and have no idea how to start, except by getting some graph paper and start measuring and drawing. I figure theres got to be some computer programs you folks use that aren't expensve or maybe free.

anyone?

Old 05-11-15, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
AFAIK , and in my area on the east cost, you need to submit drawings with the permits of the work that will be performed.

Example I submitted these plumbing, electric, and fixture layouts for an upstairs bath I dormered out..

I found the plumbing.

[IMG][/IMG]

I cant find the electric.. Here is another type for additional plumbing from the other view, and you would use the same for electric with fixtures and such in the proper locations.

[IMG][/IMG]

I use visio, but its not free..

Old 05-11-15, 03:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I'm no artist either but never thought that drawing floor plans was difficult since you're using a ruler and drawing everything to scale. They even make templates to draw in plumbing and other fixtures.

Many but not all permit offices require detailed drawings, it all depends on how strict/lax your particular office is. IMO paper, pencil and ruler is easier than computer software but then I am a low tech guy

Old 05-11-15, 03:26 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
For drawings on a kitchen remodel, they are interested in whether or not you are removing walls or changing the structure in some way. The electrical and plumbing are done in stages usually and those plans sub-permits are usually pulled by the licensed plumber or electrician. So there is a master permit and all trade permits under it. Optimally, you could submit copies of the original blueprints and indicate the changes on them if structural.

On a simple remodel, you can usually get sufficient plans with off the shelf software such as those provided by the "Punch" company. It will get you close enough to pass your permit phase. If all else fails, have a meeting with the permit dept and ask what they need. They are pretty friendly in my town. Home Design Software for PC and Mac | Interior Design and Landscape Design | Punch! Software

Old 05-11-15, 03:32 PM
H
excellent

I will be removing a load-bearing wall too. I'm having a structural engineer come out to see how it can be done and he'll draw plans for that part.

I'll try those other methods and programs too.

Thanks for the advise and keep em coming...

Old 05-11-15, 07:22 PM
H
Old 05-11-15, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Looks like a good program.. Your best bet is searching you tube for reviews IMO...

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKqHqY5yBbc

Old 05-11-15, 08:12 PM
Sketchup is really good and not too hard to use. It will do 3D also. It is free unless you want to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: