Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

45 Degree Angle on Interior Railing. Possible?

VA

07-14-17, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)  
45 Degree Angle on Interior Railing. Possible?

I'm having an addition built and we ran into an issue due to a foundation window interfering with the new foundation wall, so I am exploring other design options. The only viable option I see involves two interior railings intersecting at a 45 degree angle to a common newel post. Is this doable? Would it look funny? I did a quick google search and couldn't find even one image of an interior hand railing with a 45 degree angle on it.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-14-17, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Can't visualize, can you post a picture or drawing?

VA

07-14-17, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)  
This is what I am proposing in order to get enough width for the new opening into the addition:

Name:  AlternateDesign.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  15.1 KB

VA

07-14-17, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)  
More detail showing location of the existing foundation window I'm trying to avoid. The current design has a foundation wall that intersects with the center of this window ("new wall" shown on upper left of drawing), so I am proposing moving that wall to the right in order to clear the window. However, then I have to shift the opening over and create that angled railing.

Name:  AltDesign.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  17.0 KB

VA

07-14-17, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)  
I suppose I'm being a little ridiculous here--my main reason for making this change is so there would be room in a specific location on my eventual deck for my gas grill. I'm realizing that is probably a ridiculous reason to make these changes. I shouldn't be designing my addition around a gas grill that gets used a few times a year. The other reason was leaving that foundation window exposed, but it's not like any light is going to make it inside after I build a deck over top of it.

Last edited by mossman; 07-14-17 at 11:10 AM.

NJ

08-02-17, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Railing to Newell Post

I don't see why exiting a newell post at 45 degrees would look strange. Surely happens in the vertical direction all the time. If you cut the railing at 45 degrees it will now be slightly less than 1.5 times the width of the railing. Thats based on a 45 degree triangle with sides 1,1,radical 2 ( or 1.4...). If this size approached or exceeded the size of the newell post, it would look strange. If the newell post is very ornate and you exceed the flat space that a railing would normally attach to, it would be strange looking. Otherwise I think it would be fine... just my opinion.

Mounting might be a challenge. Some fasteners assume that you are inline with the post, but should not be an issue to drill from underneath and use a good sized screw. You can also think about the strength of the railing based on who its protecting. If upper left is higher and that's why the railing is there, anyone leaning on the railing is pushing into the concrete wall and existing newell post. Pretty strong connection. If the right side is higher, then fastening is more important.

Search this Thread