Looking for advice for entire house remodel

Old 02-10-18, 11:49 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice for entire house remodel

i just bought a home a couple months ago that is a fixer upper. I am looking for some sort of design professional that can help me plan the entire remodel. I would like advice on things such as opening up the floor plan, where to best add a half bath, how to redesign the heating and cooling ventilation, and many more. I also would like to do as much of the work myself as possible. I currently have a permit to rewire the home, and am in the process of doing so. I am not sure how to locate someone like this. I have tried just looking up general contractors, but I seem to only find those that do their own work. Any advice on how to get started on this? I live in Columbus, OH.

Thank you!

Old 02-10-18, 12:06 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If your doing major renovations vs just paint and remodeling you need an architect.

Old 02-10-18, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If no major structural work...it would be an interior designer. It will also take an architect and/or structural engineer to review the designers ideas to see if they are feasible. The designer or design firm will normally already have people they work with.

Old 02-23-18, 09:24 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
You want to hire a residential builder. They should either have architects on staff or access to an architect. They should also have an engineer that they use. Do your research, get referrals, and don't simply go with the lowest bidder to save a buck! You could try Angie's List to find a list of builders in your area.

Why are you re-wiring before remodeling?

Old 02-23-18, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
They want to do the work themselves and want someone to do the planning for them. I can't think of any builder that would be interested.??

Old 02-23-18, 10:16 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
The builder I used agreed to let me do all the interior trades while they only did the framing and exterior. Maybe not commonplace. I can definitely understand why some builders wouldn't agree to this.

Old 02-28-18, 07:13 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all the responses. I ended up contacting a "Certified Professional Building Designer", and they are going to provide plans for my entire home renovation that I will need for the building permit. Their estimated cost was higher than I expected (about $3700), but I have also heard that this service is expensive. I also don't think I can do all the designing and drawing myself, even though I consider myself a pretty good DIYer.

In response to some of the comments below:
There is one wall I want to open up on the second floor. It most likely is load bearing.
I have started on the electric, but will do most of it after the I start on the other renovations. I disconnected all the knob and tube circuits as soon as I took possession of the house. There were only a couple, but that included the entire upstairs, and all the overhead lights in the house. I wanted to get some electricity upstairs to make it more livable for the time being.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: