What kind of house foundation should i expect to have?

Old 05-09-18, 02:56 PM
What kind of house foundation should i expect to have?

I have a 1977 single family residential tract home in Southern California. 1600 sf single story. What can i expect to have for a foundation and slab. Width and height of foundation? Thickness of slab? Rebar? Obviously it is not practical to dig it up to see what i have. Can i assume they used standard build practices at that time to guesstimate what i have? This is for purposes of drawing up remodel plans for a permit.

skeeter

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There should have been code/inspections in effect at the time the house was built so you should be able to find out what the requirements were at that time. While I'm familiar with building practices in the southeast, I'm sure they are somewhat different in your area due to earthquakes.

Old 05-10-18, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Strangers on the Internet won't be able to tell you anything about what foundation is under your home. As mentioned you can research what codes were in affect when the house was built but that doesn't mean it was built following standard practices or that it even met the codes in affect back then.

Being in CA and your seismic requirements a building addition could be a can of worms and this may be a case where a professional is well worth the money. If you leave the house as is it is grandfathered in but if you open up the walls or foundation for an addition they may require you to bring the old structure up to modern codes. Again, a professional in your area knowledgeable in the rules and regulations might be a good idea.