Stair Positioning

Old 03-03-19, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Stair Positioning

This house I purchased as an investment property had a spiral staircase in it and I took it out. It was in a bad location. Now I have to decide how the stairs are to be placed and am looking for opinions. If you are looking at the below pictures and walking up the stairs to the left it would require the removal of a baseboard heater, a window would be hidden and I'm not real crazy about how someone going up the stairs would have to walk through the middle of the room to do it . The top of the stairs would be fine as you would be greeted by a really nice view of the lake. If you are going up the stairs to the right there's really no downside on the bottom but at the top there is no landing. I would have to take out a wall (non load bearing) and build a landing because at the top your first step would be down into a sunken room. The only thing about that scenario is taking out the wall eliminates a room. The room though was created as a bedroom sometime in the 80's by adding the same wall I would have to take out. Taking out that wall would leave the house with only two bedrooms. Guess it would appeal to empty nesters. I'm not real keen on blocking that downstairs window, it would look stupid but then I'm not sure about eliminating a room as far as home value and appeal to potential renters or future sale. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-19, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Don't know the whole floor layout but going up the stairs by walking up them to the left makes more sense. I'd move the window about 6 feet to the right and move or shorten the baseboard heat.

Old 03-03-19, 03:09 PM
I'd move the window about 6 feet to the right and move or shorten the baseboard heat.
Can't do that. House is on a slope. 6 feet to the right would be well below ground level.

Old 03-03-19, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Then it's either window well, landscaping, or goodbye window.

Old 03-04-19, 10:41 AM
Then it's either window well, landscaping, or goodbye window.
I think I have it figured out. I can go to the right and have a 1/4 turn near the top.